Skip to main content

Antidepressants

Antidepressants

Muzza

We call him Bodhi Zephyr
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
6,259
Location
Bondi Beach
Hi Team,

Been on Lexapro (Escitalopram) for 5 years and, following psychiatrist referral, I'm transitioning to Effexor (Venlafaxine) as the Lexapro had been regularly losing effectiveness and had been going into very dark places every 5 or 6 weeks for the last 8-10 months.

Two weeks in to the transition and had a few days of very low mood, heightened anxiety and a feeling of being disassociated from reality. I know this will pass as the new stuff kicks in properly, and got some Valium to help level out in the meantime (although my tolerance for Valium is very high now - had 10 tabs of it the other night and barely noticed).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Effexor and if it has been positive? I know if it doesn't turn out to be a good move that it will be harder to come off (and change to something else) than Lexapro, and in the past even trying to lower my Lexapro dose at one point was incredibly tough and had to ramp it straight back up again.

Cheers.

PS left the thread title generic and not specific to my situ so that if anyone else wants to add their anti-d questions or whatever then here's a place to crack on.
 
Hi Team,

Been on Lexapro (Escitalopram) for 5 years and, following psychiatrist referral, I'm transitioning to Effexor (Venlafaxine) as the Lexapro had been regularly losing effectiveness and had been going into very dark places every 5 or 6 weeks for the last 8-10 months.

Two weeks in to the transition and had a few days of very low mood, heightened anxiety and a feeling of being disassociated from reality. I know this will pass as the new stuff kicks in properly, and got some Valium to help level out in the meantime (although my tolerance for Valium is very high now - had 10 tabs of it the other night and barely noticed).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Effexor and if it has been positive? I know if it doesn't turn out to be a good move that it will be harder to come off (and change to something else) than Lexapro, and in the past even trying to lower my Lexapro dose at one point was incredibly tough and had to ramp it straight back up again.

Cheers.

PS left the thread title generic and not specific to my situ so that if anyone else wants to add their anti-d questions or whatever then here's a place to crack on.

What milligram of Valium are you taking for 10 tabs to have no effect?

And don't you find the anxiety worsens when you're not on the Valium after taking it?

I've been prescribed Venlafaxine (Effexor) in my early twenties when battling addiction and depression after losing a close mate to a motorbike crash. I went from Setraline, to Mirtazipine to Venlafaxine.

I can't remember the transitions too well, but I do know I was only on the Venlafaxine for about 18-24 months, with a 12 month taper included.

I have recommended other people to ask about it previously when they've mentioned symptoms and have no issues doing so again. I think its a great drug, as my energy levels went through the roof whilst taking it and made getting out the house (for reasons other than drug use) entirely manageable.
 
What milligram of Valium are you taking for 10 tabs to have no effect?

And don't you find the anxiety worsens when you're not on the Valium after taking it?

I've been prescribed Venlafaxine (Effexor) in my early twenties when battling addiction and depression after losing a close mate to a motorbike crash. I went from Setraline, to Mirtazipine to Venlafaxine.

I can't remember the transitions too well, but I do know I was only on the Venlafaxine for about 18-24 months, with a 12 month taper included.

I have recommended other people to ask about it previously when they've mentioned symptoms and have no issues doing so again. I think its a great drug, as my energy levels went through the roof whilst taking it and made getting out the house (for reasons other than drug use) entirely manageable.
Nice one, thanks for the response.

Valium is only 5mg per tab. Took 10 within about 5-6 hours.
Don't find the anxiety worsens any more than normal after taking it though (ie not getting 'withdrawals' from it).

Glad to hear the Venlafaxine was positive for you though. Sertraline was the very first one I tried 5 years ago but even after a couple days I was reacting badly to it so went on the Lexapro (and was on Naltrexone for a while a few years back too). And that's even better to hear that your energy levels were good on it - I've really struggled with energy over the last few years so hopefully that will help too once it's properly in my system.

Thanks mate! 🙂
 
I went through a similar switch from an SSRI to Effexor a few years back, and the transition phase was honestly the roughest part. The increased anxiety and low mood you’re describing sounds pretty typical early on, especially in the first few weeks.

Effexor can be effective, but it’s also known for being a bit “intense” in terms of side effects and adjustment. For me, things started leveling out after about 3–4 weeks, but it definitely wasn’t smooth at the beginning.

One thing I’d be careful with is relying too much on Valium to get through it, especially at higher doses — tolerance builds fast and it can make the ups and downs feel worse long-term.
Hopefully it settles for you soon. If not, definitely worth checking back in with your psychiatrist rather than pushing through something that feels off.
 
I went through a similar switch from an SSRI to Effexor a few years back, and the transition phase was honestly the roughest part. The increased anxiety and low mood you’re describing sounds pretty typical early on, especially in the first few weeks.

Effexor can be effective, but it’s also known for being a bit “intense” in terms of side effects and adjustment. For me, things started leveling out after about 3–4 weeks, but it definitely wasn’t smooth at the beginning.

One thing I’d be careful with is relying too much on Valium to get through it, especially at higher doses — tolerance builds fast and it can make the ups and downs feel worse long-term.
Hopefully it settles for you soon. If not, definitely worth checking back in with your psychiatrist rather than pushing through something that feels off.
Thanks JM. Sounds like it's gonna come through okay then as the weeks go on.

Yeah, I've got a pretty high tolerance for all things like Valium, Zopiclone and opioid painkillers now having had so many over the last few years. It's quite annoying.

Thanks for your insights and well wishes. Hope all is good with you if you're still on it, or have moved on to others!
 
Nice one, thanks for the response.

Valium is only 5mg per tab. Took 10 within about 5-6 hours.
Don't find the anxiety worsens any more than normal after taking it though (ie not getting 'withdrawals' from it).

Glad to hear the Venlafaxine was positive for you though. Sertraline was the very first one I tried 5 years ago but even after a couple days I was reacting badly to it so went on the Lexapro (and was on Naltrexone for a while a few years back too). And that's even better to hear that your energy levels were good on it - I've really struggled with energy over the last few years so hopefully that will help too once it's properly in my system.

Thanks mate! 🙂
Hi,
Its great to hear people speaking out about these things, times have changed over the years and its good to see change. Can I ask if you have tried alternative methods for anxiety control? Chances are you have, but after being absolutely crippled by anxiety and fear for many years, having tried various drugs, I found a simple program that took a bit of work, an open mind and a bit of time to get my head around. Now, 15 years later, I almost feel grateful for going through the anxiety as my mind has opened to other ways of looking at things, I'm more empathetic and the skills I have learnt through all that have helped me in many other aspects of my life.
 
Hi,
Its great to hear people speaking out about these things, times have changed over the years and its good to see change. Can I ask if you have tried alternative methods for anxiety control? Chances are you have, but after being absolutely crippled by anxiety and fear for many years, having tried various drugs, I found a simple program that took a bit of work, an open mind and a bit of time to get my head around. Now, 15 years later, I almost feel grateful for going through the anxiety as my mind has opened to other ways of looking at things, I'm more empathetic and the skills I have learnt through all that have helped me in many other aspects of my life.
Thanks Si.
Yeah, I actually went in a psych rehab clinic for 3 weeks 5 years ago and amongst many other things whilst there was taught various techniques and practices etc, but it's more the depression that I need to take the anti-d's for (and the Valium for when there are raised episodes).

I tried to come off Lexapro a couple of times, even on a slow wean, but it really didn't work and I realise it's just one of those things and I'll have to take anti-d's for the rest of my life.
 
Thanks Si.
Yeah, I actually went in a psych rehab clinic for 3 weeks 5 years ago and amongst many other things whilst there was taught various techniques and practices etc, but it's more the depression that I need to take the anti-d's for (and the Valium for when there are raised episodes).

I tried to come off Lexapro a couple of times, even on a slow wean, but it really didn't work and I realise it's just one of those things and I'll have to take anti-d's for the rest of my life.
It's a scary place, but not unsurmountable. Keep talking. Best of luck and take care.
 
Hi,
Its great to hear people speaking out about these things, times have changed over the years and its good to see change. Can I ask if you have tried alternative methods for anxiety control? Chances are you have, but after being absolutely crippled by anxiety and fear for many years, having tried various drugs, I found a simple program that took a bit of work, an open mind and a bit of time to get my head around. Now, 15 years later, I almost feel grateful for going through the anxiety as my mind has opened to other ways of looking at things, I'm more empathetic and the skills I have learnt through all that have helped me in many other aspects of my life.
Anxiety is horrible. Mine manifested itself as agoraphobia mainly, due to suffering from panic attacks, I suspect stemming from smoking too many spliffs in the early 90s!!

I was in a constant state of panic and sleeplessness for about 18 months, felt constantly dizzy and trapped in my own body but at the same time detached from it. Really hard to explain.

Some counselling / group therapy helped, but the key really was getting busy, exercising and forgetting about it. It's a journey though, and sometimes rears its head albeit in a mild way these days. I spose when you get older you give less of a fuck and just crack on.

Like yourself though mate, I feel proud of myself for surviving it, stabilising and having a really successful career. At one point I couldn't leave my bedroom.

You learn a lot of valuable life skills through battling through adversity, for sure.
 
Okay, so the Effexor hasn't worked out as the right solution.
I'm now reducing my dose in order to switch to yet another one, Fluoxetine (Prozac), in a couple of weeks.
Anyone had any experience of Prozac good or bad?
 
Okay, so the Effexor hasn't worked out as the right solution.
I'm now reducing my dose in order to switch to yet another one, Fluoxetine (Prozac), in a couple of weeks.
Anyone had any experience of Prozac good or bad?

My wife is on fluoxetine. I don't want to speak about her mental state without her permission however.

I will say that it has worked wonders for our relationship, but does have its downsides as well.
 
My wife is on fluoxetine. I don't want to speak about her mental state without her permission however.

I will say that it has worked wonders for our relationship, but does have its downsides as well.
That's understandable mate, no worries. Thanks for commenting though.
 
Okay, so the Effexor hasn't worked out as the right solution.
I'm now reducing my dose in order to switch to yet another one, Fluoxetine (Prozac), in a couple of weeks.
Anyone had any experience of Prozac good or bad?
DM Ando. Up and down with him. 😉
 
Okay, so the Effexor hasn't worked out as the right solution.
I'm now reducing my dose in order to switch to yet another one, Fluoxetine (Prozac), in a couple of weeks.
Anyone had any experience of Prozac good or bad?
Fluoxetine is great. I was on it for about 5 years and it was the best one I’ve used
 
I’m currently on Sertraline and propranolol. The side effects are worse and I’m having to take 2 meds to manage my symptoms but the doc wont let me go back on fluoxetine as I’m not depressed just suffer with panic disorder. In fairness I’ve not had a severe panic attack in 3 years now but they were ruling my life.
 
I’m currently on Sertraline and propranolol. The side effects are worse and I’m having to take 2 meds to manage my symptoms but the doc wont let me go back on fluoxetine as I’m not depressed just suffer with panic disorder. In fairness I’ve not had a severe panic attack in 3 years now but they were ruling my life.
Sertraline was the very first one they tried me on back in 2021 but I literally only took it for a couple days cause it reacted badly with me. I've just been given Propranolol a few days ago (beta blocker) as well, but it's more an 'as and when' rather than daily use. Sorry about your side effects, but glad to hear you've had a good result with prevention of panic attacks!
 
I’m currently on Sertraline and propranolol. The side effects are worse and I’m having to take 2 meds to manage my symptoms but the doc wont let me go back on fluoxetine as I’m not depressed just suffer with panic disorder. In fairness I’ve not had a severe panic attack in 3 years now but they were ruling my life.
How nice to see your name pop up 🙂
I notice Mirtazapine hasn't been mentioned in the above posts - to be used along with propranolol (as required) ?
 
I’m currently on Sertraline and propranolol. The side effects are worse and I’m having to take 2 meds to manage my symptoms but the doc wont let me go back on fluoxetine as I’m not depressed just suffer with panic disorder. In fairness I’ve not had a severe panic attack in 3 years now but they were ruling my life.
Hey Paddy , great to see you back posting 👍🏻👍🏻
 
Back
Top