Skip to main content

Members

Members

Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
39,240
Couple of questions...

1/ In the Members section, I am sure there used to be a little search tool where you could specifically search for a member. I can't find it. Is that just me not being observant?

2/ Instead, I used the regular search function to search for posts by Tark... but his name was not recognised. Maybe he'd deleted his account - but as a little test, I typed REG... and unsurprisingly my own name popped up as an option... but I am sure that it would previously have given me 2 or 3 other options after typing those 3 letters - including someone simply called Reg. But only my name appeared.

Is this some sort of coincidence, an error from me or has something changed?
 
Not sure if it's due to Mod/Admin permissions but it allows me to search if someone can test
1788885023014.png

So don't select any user, just hit search
1788885040911.png


1788884985498.png


You can then also go to the member profile by clicking on their Username in any post if their profile allows others to view it
 

Attachments

  • 1788884952379.png
    1788884952379.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1788884962640.png
    1788884962640.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks, will try to work out why some names do start appearing as a selection
 
OK that is because it only starts to autofill for users who have been active in the last 180 days
Thanks for looking into it. Regarding Tark, I made a basic error. I had in my brain that Tark's username was Tark.

Am I also misremembering there previously having been a box within the member pages specifically to search members?

And f it's a variable that you are able to amend, do we think 6 months is the best for us.

With regard to the 180day limit that you mention, I do think it's probably a good idea to have some limitation (so that lots of inactive accounts don't kind of get in the way). But something like a couple of years, at the least, feels right to me. What do you rec?
 
Thanks for looking into it. Regarding Tark, I made a basic error. I had in my brain that Tark's username was Tark.

Am I also misremembering there previously having been a box within the member pages specifically to search members?

And f it's a variable that you are able to amend, do we think 6 months is the best for us.

With regard to the 180day limit that you mention, I do think it's probably a good idea to have some limitation (so that lots of inactive accounts don't kind of get in the way). But something like a couple of years, at the least, feels right to me. What do you rec?

He was called Tark, think the poster name search isn’t case sensitive

There did used to be a search box you aren’t mistaken. It was a function that has a high overhead when all the users are constantly cached into the database so it’s a xenforo recommendation that unless it’s critical your spending power is best used elsewhere

Likewise the 180 day limit is a xenforo setting (well it’s in the software I haven’t checked it can be overridden) based on their tests so there isn’t necessarily much reason for us to mess with it as there are ways to find users or posts

If people can’t find someone they can always ask one of the Mods to check or search if the conventional methods don’t find a post

I think if you put part of a username into the actual text search it tends to find quoted posts of theirs also
 
Back
Top