Mmmm. It was a good day at Wembley but not a great day we are still waiting for that. We got promoted but to no higher than we were in 1962! Great for me is bettering what we have had for 60+ years not just hopping between the same levels.I’ve supported Preston North End since 2004.
Grayson has given me the greatest moment in that time.
I don’t care how Neil performed with his squad. Football is about moments and that was a greater moment than anything Neil produced (although he was a good manager for us.) Unless you didn’t enjoy that day?
Rank PNE's Best to Worst Managers
I agree with that. It's all about personal preference but for me I don't just rank it on trophies, the level of the trophy/success matters.Mmmm. It was a good day at Wembley but not a great day we are still waiting for that. We got promoted but to no higher than we were in 1962! Great for me is bettering what we have had for 60+ years not just hopping between the same levels.
Don't get me wrong I loved Grayson. He dragged us out of hell and made us back to being a very established championship side, but even in League One people (probably rightly) turn a blind eye to the fact we bottled automatic promotion on the last day and it could have been very different. Of course it wasn't different but just part of the reason I wouldn't have Grayson higher than 5th.
His move to Sunderland also left quite a bitter taste but I'm not sure how much of that came more from McGeady and his antics at Deepdale when he came back.
- Joined
- Jul 5, 2026
- Messages
- 1,111
Did you support another team prior to that?I’ve supported Preston North End since 2004.
Grayson has given me the greatest moment in that time.
I don’t care how Neil performed with his squad. Football is about moments and that was a greater moment than anything Neil produced (although he was a good manager for us.) Unless you didn’t enjoy that day?
The only reason I ask is because I had you down as being older.🤣
I thought the same…..Did you support another team prior to that?
The only reason I ask is because I had you down as being older.🤣
I had Ribby White in his 40’s/ 50’s….
- Joined
- Mar 27, 2012
- Messages
- 459
Your ranking:1
David Moyes2
Billy Davies3
Alex Neil4
Craig Brown5
Simon Grayson6
Alan Irvine7
Paul Heckingbottom8
Ryan Lowe9
Paul Simpson10
Frankie McAvoy11
Phil Brown12
Graham Westley13
Darren Ferguson
- Joined
- Mar 27, 2012
- Messages
- 459
out of interest did anyone else have Ferguson last behind Westley?
They appear to be the bottom two on the poll as it stands.
The job Craig Brown did for us was underrated, he signed a lot of quality players and Billy followed up by getting a consistent tune out of them.
They appear to be the bottom two on the poll as it stands.
The job Craig Brown did for us was underrated, he signed a lot of quality players and Billy followed up by getting a consistent tune out of them.
- Joined
- Aug 16, 2022
- Messages
- 6,222
I’m 37 so it depends what you class as older 😂.Did you support another team prior to that?
The only reason I ask is because I had you down as being older.🤣
I didn’t really follow football at school until my mates decided to get a season ticket. Started well with the play off final but been down hill pretty much ever since.
I think it was a great day. 11 years gone. And for some of us that will be that.Mmmm. It was a good day at Wembley but not a great day we are still waiting for that. We got promoted but to no higher than we were in 1962! Great for me is bettering what we have had for 60+ years not just hopping between the same levels.
What else have we to reflect on in a scale of greatness?
Oh yes. A penalty shoot out against Birmingham a generation ago.
Which playoff final. The downhill ones? 🤷🏼♂️there’s a choice.I’m 37 so it depends what you class as older 😂.
I didn’t really follow football at school until my mates decided to get a season ticket. Started well with the play off final but been down hill pretty much ever since.
Fk off Hecky. I’ve 2 O Levels and 3 CSE.Not being funny but anyone putting Heckingbottom last is just fucking thick and is completely blinded by recency bias.
- Joined
- Aug 16, 2022
- Messages
- 6,222
04-05.Which playoff final. The downhill ones? 🤷🏼♂️there’s a choice.
I know we made the play offs under Irvine but as soon as Davies left that was beginning of the slide.
Utter bollocks.Your ranking:1David Moyes2
Billy Davies3
Alex Neil4
Craig Brown5
Simon Grayson6
Alan Irvine7
Paul Heckingbottom8
Ryan Lowe9
Paul Simpson10
Frankie McAvoy11
Phil Brown12
Graham Westley13
Darren Ferguson![]()
Don't know how anyone can have anyone other than Ferguson bottom. Totally useless manager, who, not content with having us propping up the league, guaranteed we went down as he stood by and watched his tosser of a dad and his useless lapdog pulled all their loanees
The big problem with Fergie Jr is he's rubbish at building a secure backline. That has tripped up his Posh teams when he's got them into the championship. And also why no one has appointed him in this division since.
Reminds me of Lampard a bit albeit he has that problem at premier league compared to championship.
Looking at the backline in 2010 makes my eyes bleed....David Gray, Craig Morgan, Wayne Brown. SSL, Davidson and Billy Jones were all still around and playing first part of the season but Jones was in last year of his deal so mind elsewhere and Davidson well into his 30s so a bit like Hughes now.
I did like what he was trying in other parts of the pitch, Coutts would've been better player in more stable team as he showed for years after at Derby. Keith Tracey looked decent and we now know he had major drinking issues. He also gave games to Barton and Mayor to see if they were good or not.
CF was an issue. Josh King was signed a year or two before he really got his career going at Bournemouth.
Maybe the season goes in different direction if winning at Burnley. But then the team did win a kamikaze game at Leeds a week or two later and just went back to losing. Can also remember a mad 4-3 at home to Palace so reality is the backline being terrible was unsustainable.
Probably would've been better if he'd been appointed in league one and seen if he could build something like Grayson did.
- Joined
- Mar 27, 2012
- Messages
- 459
All about opinions fella, no worries.Utter bollocks.
The top 2 and bottom three seem to do themselves, so where do you profoundly disagree?
I think that it is fair to say that even when we say someone has been well backed, what we are saying is that someone has been well backed by our standards.
I suppose that to be fair you have to say that the so called for play rules in regards to our income probably put us at a disadvantage.
Have to say though all the financial stuff is beyond me, and I don't know if we had spent the little extra on certain players we missed out on would have put us in a points deduction scenario?
Oh I agree. People go crazy when someone is signed for over a million still on here which shows the lowering of expectations in last decade by the current ownership.
Under Grayson though I'd say summer 2013 was interesting when Kevin Davies was signed. O.k he wasn't amazing on the pitch but more statement of intent to show everyone the club wanted to get out of league one as soon as possible. Davies was also a regular starter still in the prem for Bolton 18 months before so would've been on a serious wage.
Then Beckford came the next season when he could've easily got another championship club. Then McGeady in summer 2016.
This didn't really happen under AN but then he seemed happier working with a young squad and building them up especially as senior heads like Clarke, Hunts and occasioningly John Welsh all were on the pitch.
That would be the overrated Davies that got us 90 minutes away from the Premier League ??Strange how Davies doesn’t come bottom
Very overrated
Come on, you need to provide some level of explanation for this madness.Strange how Davies doesn’t come bottom
Very overrated
- Joined
- Feb 1, 2020
- Messages
- 551
I don't know how it could be anyone other than Westley bottom,i remember getting totally outplayed at deepdale by the likes of Doncaster and Crewe.Playing Aarron Brown up front over Iain Hume,The guy was an arrogant arsehole aswell
- Joined
- Jan 5, 2021
- Messages
- 6,536
Apart from the fact he didn’t. We were on 44 points when AN got sacked; Wycombe, who finished 22nd, ended on 43 points.McAvoy is easily above Lowe and Heckingbottom. Genuinely saved us from the drop, was given an absolute pittance the following summer, and when he was sacked we were still only 18th.
Do agree though that Frankie was dealt a terrible hand.