Skip to main content

Safe standing.

Safe standing.

Poll Poll Do you support the introduction of a safe standing area at Deepdale?


  • Total voters
    164
These are the ones at Fratton Park we used the other day(well almost the same we were further to the right). Across 9 seats thats 4 legs to support them that barely cover a quarter of a seat probably. If we lost 1 seat per row per block, what's that on capacity as a whole, and in reality we'd be talking about sections only i.e the back X rows in certain blocks? It isn't a deal breaker at Deepdale certainly

View attachment 24470

Agree that it’s not a deal breaker overall, but it’s a factor to consider and seems to be a misconception that capacity would remain the same, or even increase.

If we sold 1500 safe standing season tickets, but they were £100 extra raise £150k towards installation costs, I'd be keen to see the take up.

The rationale for the increased price from the club could be that seem to fans feel would be a better experience, so natural you should pay more.
 
Agree that it’s not a deal breaker overall, but it’s a factor to consider and seems to be a misconception that capacity would remain the same, or even increase.

If we sold 1500 safe standing season tickets, but they were £100 extra raise £150k towards installation costs, I'd be keen to see the take up.

The rationale for the increased price from the club could be that seem to fans feel would be a better experience, so natural you should pay more.

Why should you pay more?

It would only be say the back 5 rows of the Town End and an area of the Kop.

It wouldn't need to be 1,500 initally but maybe 500 or so, you then see the take up see if iimproves the atmosphere, see if it improves the match day experience for our supporters.

If it doesn't make much difference to any of the above then, you don't expand it any further.

As @jakehake states any loss to capacity would be negligible, if at all and given we have only sold out Deepdale 5 times in 30 years does it matter?

We actually lost capacity due to the electronic advertising boards but no one mentions that.
 
So it does reduce capacity now?

If people already stand without interruption how will it improve atmosphere or experience?

I didn’t say that I wanted people to pay, but the money has to come from somewhere.

Also, why on earth are we including the Kop in this? The last thing we need is to spend money on the away section surely?
 
The club can get fined for fans constantly stnading in an all seater stadium, technically, fans have to sit down to meet safety regulations
Actually, it isn't illegal to stand (I was told this at Ipswich away by a Police Officer I was chatting to in 2009), it is down to the discretion of each individual club whether they enforce such a rule.

Rule and Legal are different kettles of fish.

Hence why at Deepdale, a blind eye is given and has been for years.
 
Yes they can be installed retrospectively, but there isn’t room between the seats at Deepdale for the metal poles doors much hold up the rails, so I don’t see where they would go?

It hasn’t been implemented at every Premier League stadium.

If it has no impact on FFP, I’m more concerned about the opportunity cost of paying for it. I’d much prefer money to be spent elsewhere.

As for funding by supporters, too much oness is put on us already in my opinion and the upper echelons still seem to take it for granted.

The narrative for some time now seems to be that we should be happy with just fielding a starting XI, so fans have naturally started to focus their efforts on matters off the pitch.

It’s about time the club did more to please the fans, rather then appease them.
For someone who seems to live in London, you twopennethworth means absolute jack as I very much doubt you attend Deepdale on a regular basis unlike the people on this thread who are ST Holders.

And yes, I am politely saying you don't know what you're on about as proved in multiple posts on this thread.

Keep your beak out. It doesn't really concern a non attendee like yourself.
 
For someone who seems to live in London, you twopennethworth means absolute jack as I very much doubt you attend Deepdale on a regular basis unlike the people on this thread who are ST Holders.

And yes, I am politely saying you don't know what you're on about as proved in multiple posts on this thread.

Keep your beak out. It doesn't really concern a non attendee like yourself.

I’ve got a season ticket and also attend away games on a regular basis.

Posts like this are an embarrassment to the forum, making wild assumptions and thinking you’re a better fan on the basis of them.
 
I’ve got a season ticket and also attend away games on a regular basis.

Posts like this are an embarrassment to the forum, making wild assumptions and thinking you’re a better fan on the basis of them.
Well, it says London as your location so...

But your previous assumptions are way off the mark.

Have you ever experienced Safe Standing? I have so I can speak from experience.
 
Actually, it isn't illegal to stand (I was told this at Ipswich away by a Police Officer I was chatting to in 2009), it is down to the discretion of each individual club whether they enforce such a rule.

Rule and Legal are different kettles of fish.

Hence why at Deepdale, a blind eye is given and has been for years.

with a huge spoonful of common sense and courtesy to those around
 
Well, it says London as your location so...

But your previous assumptions are way off the mark.

H

So what? I was in the away end on Saturday but I didn’t assume most PNE fans wouldn’t travel down south because they tend to live in Lancashire 😂

As a side point, the people who don’t attend should have a say, surely? There’s clearly a reason why they no longer come to games and I’d love to know if PNE engage with this lapsed revenue.

If they did a survey of lapsed ST holders of those whose ad-hic attendance had dropped and they said that they left because they had been ejected for persistent standing then that would warrant money being spent.

What I have I assumed?

I’ve confirmed that it will most likely reduce capacity and cost a lot of money that needs to come from somewhere.

My main point is that is people stand already how on earth with a metal rail improve their experience?

If fans were constantly being told to sit down, or prosecuted for standing then I would 100% support safe standing sections.

Was the atmosphere better in the away end on Saturday because of the railings?
 
So it does reduce capacity now?

As I stated earlier.

There are many stadiums in which it has been implemented without a reduction in capacity.
 
If people already stand without interruption how will it improve atmosphere or experience

Persistant standing in seating areas is not safe (my shins over the years prove it). It is against Ground Safety Regulations and clubs can be fined or have restrictions place upon them.

The fans I have spoken to through the FSA who have installed safe standing all say it has improved the atmosphere and also the experience of those who use it.

It is about providing a choice.

I didn’t say that I wanted people to pay, but the money has to come from somewhere.
If only our club was owned by someone who could afford it.

I gave other suggestions which clubs have used to raise funds.

It is about investing in your infrastructure and stadium.

Also, why on earth are we including the Kop in this? The last thing we need is to spend money on the away section surely?

You really need to research further.

The rules state that if home sections have rail seating available that at least 15% of the away area must be made available for rail seating.
 
I can’t see how it wouldn’t reduce capacity based on the seats at Deepdale, but maybe I’m wrong and time will tell

Didn’t know about the away legislation, you learn something every day 👍 Strange that it’s only 15% as away fans tend to stand more often than not

Yes, if only we did have more investment in the infrastructure! If I didn’t feel it was an either/or decision regarding spending, you could make the whole stadium safe standing for all I care.

Signing supplier contracts which the club know will lead to higher costs for fans (catering, ticketing etc.) is hugely disappointing.
 
I can’t see how it wouldn’t reduce capacity based on the seats at Deepdale, but maybe I’m wrong and time will tell
According to this site, it could actually increase capacity (although im not sure how that could be the case)

Efficient use of space​

Firstly, safe standing in a football stadium provides a more efficient use of space. Therefore, by replacing traditional seating with rail seats, clubs can increase capacity without having to expand their stadium. This can therefore, lead to increased revenue and a better fan experience. This is due to supporters having more space to move around and enjoy the game.

 
As I stated earlier.

There are many stadiums in which it has been implemented without a reduction in capacity.
 


Persistant standing in seating areas is not safe (my shins over the years prove it). It is against Ground Safety Regulations and clubs can be fined or have restrictions place upon them.

The fans I have spoken to through the FSA who have installed safe standing all say it has improved the atmosphere and also the experience of those who use it.

It is about providing a choice.


If only our club was owned by someone who could afford it.

I gave other suggestions which clubs have used to raise funds.

It is about investing in your infrastructure and stadium.



You really need to research further.

The rules state that if home sections have rail seating available that at least 15% of the away area must be made available for rail seating.
Re 2nd point i am thinking it would help the experience as all too often there's a mini kick off because a "stander" blocks the view of a "sitter" (often the sitter has pretty just reason to kick off) so give the sitters seats and the standers safe standing areas?
Key word "safe"
Then just how hard can it be............
At the Sunderland game there was a small group on the invisibles who sole intention it seemed was to have their 1 second of fame on the goggle box by standing repeatedly for what seemed like no obvious reason ?, it could help situations like that
 
Last edited:
with a huge spoonful of common sense and courtesy to those around
Hence my ST and those fellow standers have located themselves to the back 3 or 4 rows.

I am situated on R38, the penultimate row.

Incidentally, at away games, if I am stood up with someone behind who cannot stand up and the view in front of myself is clear, I always offer to swap seats. Rovers away was the last time, off memory, that I did this for some elderly gent.

I might stand but I'm not a total twat to fellow supporters. Manners, etc, to those around myself.

One day, especially with my knees, I'll be that "old moaning git saying Sit Down". 😂 I suppose the STFS is my back up option from the AKTE. 😂
 
So what? I was in the away end on Saturday but I didn’t assume most PNE fans wouldn’t travel down south because they tend to live in Lancashire 😂

As a side point, the people who don’t attend should have a say, surely? There’s clearly a reason why they no longer come to games and I’d love to know if PNE engage with this lapsed revenue.

If they did a survey of lapsed ST holders of those whose ad-hic attendance had dropped and they said that they left because they had been ejected for persistent standing then that would warrant money being spent.

What I have I assumed?

I’ve confirmed that it will most likely reduce capacity and cost a lot of money that needs to come from somewhere.

My main point is that is people stand already how on earth with a metal rail improve their experience?

If fans were constantly being told to sit down, or prosecuted for standing then I would 100% support safe standing sections.

Was the atmosphere better in the away end on Saturday because of the railings?
You are comedy gold.

Plus a total killjoy lacking any facts of relevance.
 
Hence my ST and those fellow standers have located themselves to the back 3 or 4 rows.

I am situated on R38, the penultimate row.

Incidentally, at away games, if I am stood up with someone behind who cannot stand up and the view in front of myself is clear, I always offer to swap seats. Rovers away was the last time, off memory, that I did this for some elderly gent.

I might stand but I'm not a total twat to fellow supporters. Manners, etc, to those around myself.

One day, especially with my knees, I'll be that "old moaning git saying Sit Down". 😂 I suppose the STFS is my back up option from the AKTE. 😂

room in my box for you when you are ready 🙂
 
Hence my ST and those fellow standers have located themselves to the back 3 or 4 rows.

I am situated on R38, the penultimate row.

Incidentally, at away games, if I am stood up with someone behind who cannot stand up and the view in front of myself is clear, I always offer to swap seats. Rovers away was the last time, off memory, that I did this for some elderly gent.

I might stand but I'm not a total twat to fellow supporters. Manners, etc, to those around myself.

One day, especially with my knees, I'll be that "old moaning git saying Sit Down". 😂 I suppose the STFS is my back up option from the AKTE. 😂

you have pretty much written the etiquette handbook there if only many where the same as your good self example my FIL has now just given up on away games for exactly the reason you quote 🙄
 
Re 2nd point i am thinking it would help the experience as all too often there's a mini kick off because a "stander" blocks the view of a "sitter" (often the sitter has pretty just reason to kick off) so give the sitters seats and the standers safe standing areas?
Key word "safe"
Then just how hard can it be............
At the Sunderland game there was a small group on the invisibles who sole intention it seemed was to have their 1 second of fame on the goggle box by standing repeatedly for what seemed like no obvious reason ?, it could help situations like that

With the football being served up its probably better that someone blocks my view 🙂
 
Back
Top