Skip to main content

Third party cookies

Third party cookies

Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
39,240
What’s changed that means we can’t see links? Is it permanent? I almost never accept third party cookies. Cheers.

IMG_7300.jpeg
 
Two people have liked this, which suggests it’s not just me… but I cannot believe that many are having the same issues as me or more would be responding to this thread.

I would say that 98 or 99 links in every 100 are showing the message visible to me. The Transfer thread is just a wall of them. It’s only happened this week.

Has something changed on Forum setting? Is everone else seeing the same, and just accepting the cookies?
 
It's happening to my 'feed' too.
I've decided I'm not responding to those posts.
I have to delete enough junk mail as it is, and I also don't want to be part of their algorithm -gathering data .
 

There was an update to the software that affected two factor authentication for some users. This was mitigated by a change to the cookie settings. Technically it’s just given greater control to the user whereas previously the required cookies included the ones for external material to be embedded, now they are optional hence if you opt out the embedded content will no longer be displayed
 

There was an update to the software that affected two factor authentication for some users. This was mitigated by a change to the cookie settings. Technically it’s just given greater control to the user whereas previously the required cookies included the ones for external material to be embedded, now they are optional hence if you opt out the embedded content will no longer be displayed

Thanks jake. Is there a Google Translate setting to change your words jnto something I understand? 😁

If I opt out of embedded content (however that is done), does that mean I will be unable to see the tweets and articles that people post?
 
Thanks jake. Is there a Google Translate setting to change your words jnto something I understand? 😁

If I opt out of embedded content (however that is done), does that mean I will be unable to see the tweets and articles that people post?

If you click on the cookies option in the bottom left and the link I had posted above it explains which cookies are in each category. But yes if you opt out of third party cookies then anything hosted on a third party within that list will be blocked/hidden. Links from sites not in that list, I’m thinking like the LEP, where we just unfurl the URL and show a small part of a story would still potentially work. Haven’t tested the difference to check, just an assumption for now but seems your experience that most but not all content is being hidden maybe matches that most people post tweets in threads seemingly

IMG_0041.jpeg
 
Thanks. So I’ll try to ask a straight forward question.

Up until a few days ago, In all the years I’ve been on here, every time I clicked on a tweet or an LEP article (or whatever) that someone had posted… did that potentially give away a load of info off my phone to X or LEP etc if that’s how their 3rd party policies were set up (without my knowledge)?
 
The post qhoted below is one of the few where a link appears “normally”. I clicked on the link, it took me to the external site with a cookie notice over the top… giving me the option to Accept all cookies, Reject non-essential or Manage selection.

I rejected non-essential. But if my understanding is correct, if I go to the pne-online cookie settjngs and Enable Third Party cookies, then in future I will no longer get the choice to reject non-essentials when I click links.


Not sure if this had been posted but just seen on Twitter
 
Thanks jake. Is there a Google Translate setting to change your words jnto something I understand? 😁

If I opt out of embedded content (however that is done), does that mean I will be unable to see the tweets and articles that people post?
In all seriousness, could there be a translation into olde-worlde English that I can have a go at trying to understand ? Thanks!
 
Thanks. So I’ll try to ask a straight forward question.

Up until a few days ago, In all the years I’ve been on here, every time I clicked on a tweet or an LEP article (or whatever) that someone had posted… did that potentially give away a load of info off my phone to X or LEP etc if that’s how their 3rd party policies were set up (without my knowledge)?

The post qhoted below is one of the few where a link appears “normally”. I clicked on the link, it took me to the external site with a cookie notice over the top… giving me the option to Accept all cookies, Reject non-essential or Manage selection.

I rejected non-essential. But if my understanding is correct, if I go to the pne-online cookie settjngs and Enable Third Party cookies, then in future I will no longer get the choice to reject non-essentials when I click links.

I think I need google translate or ChatGPT also now. If anyone clicks a link to an external link/website on any webpage you've then passed control to that website as the "current" page in your browser. Even without cookies you've handed the site a bunch of information pertaining to you and your browser ultimately. Looking at the list in the link I provided, those companies look like ones who have either T&Cs about how their content is shared or other reasons that have created that list for the xenforo developers over time. To your latter point, when the twitter or youtube link is displayed here, they are the third party. When you click on the link they are the "first party", you can reject whatever cookies on their websites using the cookie management options on their website.
 
Back
Top