Skip to main content

Club Takeover/Investment

Club Takeover/Investment

There’s obviously risk involved but we’ve been pretty shite for over 60 years now and stewardship under the Hemmings regime has been a bit like being on a hamster wheel.
If the product on the pitch improves I’m pretty sure we won’t have any problems filling Deepdale
so I would be more than happy for the current custodians to complete due diligence and pass the reins onto someone else.


Early Bird.jpg



I’ve renewed, it’s my club. Can’t really argue with the price even to watch crap football, it’s still cheaper than clubs on non league.
 
We do have that 10% chance of finding a new owner that might bankroll success. That’s what we all want. But we are not London based or in a wealthy area and we do have one of the smallest fan bases in the championship.
Some fans (like me) refuse to give the Hemmings any more money until they sell the club. I have stated on many occasions that once the club is sold then I will return. Call me a sh*t fan but I was one of the people that had shares that got taken off me by them.
 
He mentions it in most interviews or podcasts that he does though. Often says that there's always discussions but it's about finding the right people that are serious.

The only different thing from yesterday's podcast compared to others was him bringing up the point of more eyes on us since the Liverpool game and SpudBros.
I’ll stand corrected, I don't tend to listen to them all that much
 
Be careful what you wish for. Are we going to get an owner prepared to put in £ 10 m plus every year not to get in the Premier League. Probably not as they are most unlikely to have any emotional attachment. We could get someone who’ll give it a push for a couple of years putting maybe £ 20 m in say. Fingers crossed that would get us close but the odds are we wouldn’t get up given the strong competition and then we could be in a situation where the new owners will get fed up and funding will cease. The club will inevitably be sold at some stage that’s for certain but we need to be realistic about the likely outcome.

I’m honestly getting tired of the phrase “be careful what you wish for”. It gets wheeled out every time there’s even a hint of change, as if fans aren’t allowed to want more for our football club.

Of course, it’s absolutely right to acknowledge what the Hemmings family and the Trust have done. They’ve kept us stable, covered the wage bill, and ensured we’ve operated within our means. That deserves recognition and gratitude.

But there’s a difference between being thankful for the past and accepting stagnation for the future. Football doesn’t stand still, and if we continue to do so, we’ll only drift further behind. The reality is that almost every club who’s progressed in this league has done so with new investment, new ideas, and owners who weren’t content just to tread water.

And let’s be honest it has become increasingly clear in recent years that the club is more of an irritation to some members of the Trust, and the budget is getting harder and harder to stretch. That’s not a recipe for ambition or growth.

Wanting ambition doesn’t mean fans are demanding reckless gambling or expecting some Mr Beast fantasy figure to turn up with a bottomless pit of cash. It simply means recognising that the current model has reached its ceiling, and that a fresh approach is needed if we’re ever going to compete properly.

So yes, be thankful to the Hemmings family. But don’t let that gratitude be used as a stick to beat down ambition. Standing still in football is the fastest way of going backwards and if opportunities really are emerging, then it’s right for fans to be hopeful and push for change.
 
You’d think so.

There is such a fantastic history to this club - obviously not just the Invincibles and founder members, but also things like the oldest continuously used ground, the first black professional footballer, the first serious women’s team etc etc.,.

Not to mention the fans, who’ve stuck with the club through 64 years of mostly being either mediocre or pretty rubbish.

People might say we’re not a sleeping giant, but in many ways we are. We’ve been there before. It’s in the blood of Prestonians. Give the good people of Preston something to really get excited and they will respond in numbers.

We’re not called Proud Preston for nothing and I don’t believe any group of fans would feel more proud of their team than Nobbers will if we go up.

And to whoever does eventually take over after the Hemmings, I can’t imagine the feeling you’ll have if you manage to get North End back to the top flight. What a story that would be.
A fantastic post, if there is interest in our club somewhere I hope they read this.💙
 
I'm cautious around the idea of a new owner just because I wouldn't want to be involved in sportswashing but also there are some nutjobs out there. Weirdly I have a little faith that the Hemmings won't sell us to someone erratic (even though they did nearly sell us to Kirchner). I can see all the potential benefits of a new owner though and, considering how much the Hemmings hold us back, I think there is justifiable reason to be excited if there is some substance to the rumours.
 
I'm cautious around the idea of a new owner just because I wouldn't want to be involved in sportswashing but also there are some nutjobs out there. Weirdly I have a little faith that the Hemmings won't sell us to someone erratic (even though they did nearly sell us to Kirchner). I can see all the potential benefits of a new owner though and, considering how much the Hemmings hold us back, I think there is justifiable reason to be excited if there is some substance to the rumours.
Interesting question, would some fans be put off by how said person had made their fortune ? Or how much sports washing they would be doing ?

We’ve only just got fans back who refused to go on while Ched was here .

If not our club then it would be another one .
 
Of course, it’s absolutely right to acknowledge what the Hemmings family and the Trust have done. They’ve kept us stable, covered the wage bill, and ensured we’ve operated within our means. That deserves recognition and gratitude.
why though, TH was behind the winding up debacle where official administration would have been the better option for the club, most of the debt would have been wiped (football related wouldn't), a new owner would have been easily found, we were relegated anyway and Ridsdale would never have walked in through our doors, we have been in Hemmings/IOM administration since the 5p debacle, how many clubs of our size own THREE (Ingol included) fucking training grounds and why as TH/IOM never intended to build Ingol???
 
It’s obvious we had a budget under Trevor that we stuck too unless we were in danger of going down now that budget in real terms is worth less and less , so now if we go over budget it impacts the next seasons ( Gibson ) for example .
This year the spending of other clubs has increased for those expected to be at the top and those who have come up making our budget even less than what is needed to even stand still .
Yes a takeover may push the price of season tickets up but unless we are prepared to spend more the only way the club is going is down .
We should be thankful to the Hemmings family to some extent but not let cloud the fact that they have taken us nowhere , the reason we have stagnated is down to them the contracts they have renewed to mediocre players while letting the better ones leave for nothing that is why they are having to put so much into the club but absolutely no plan on how to progress both on and off the pitch .
The time has definitely come for a change of ownership , yes it might be a good thing or turn out to be bad but to keep the present owners we won’t even have the option of it being a good thing .
 
why though, TH was behind the winding up debacle where official administration would have been the better option for the club, most of the debt would have been wiped (football related wouldn't), a new owner would have been easily found, we were relegated anyway and Ridsdale would never have walked in through our doors, we have been in Hemmings/IOM administration since the 5p debacle, how many clubs of our size own THREE (Ingol included) fucking training grounds and why as TH/IOM never intended to build Ingol???

I am just trying to come at from the viewpoint of those fans who simply refuse to accept that the ownership is far from perfect.

It is ok for them to thank the current ownership and to embrace a change, something which they seem terrified to do.

I'm done with the current ownership Bill.

I don't trust them at a personal level and more than ready to embrace a change that could push us forward.
 
Last edited:
One question that nobody has either asked nor answered.

Should a Takeover actually happen, what becomes of Hecky et al given that new owners usually want their own man?

Should he stay or should he be replaced?

Whilst I wouldn't have been bothered had he left in May, I think now given (1) the start we've had (2) given the players he's brought in on a miniscule budget, he deserves a chance to prove his worth (imo).
 
One question that nobody has either asked nor answered.

Should a Takeover actually happen, what becomes of Hecky et al given that new owners usually want their own man?

Should he stay or should he be replaced?

Whilst I wouldn't have been bothered had he left in May, I think now given (1) the start we've had (2) given the players he's brought in on a miniscule budget, he deserves a chance to prove his worth (imo).
I’ve heard Wayne Rooney would be brought in 😉
 
One question that nobody has either asked nor answered.

Should a Takeover actually happen, what becomes of Hecky et al given that new owners usually want their own man?

Should he stay or should he be replaced?

Whilst I wouldn't have been bothered had he left in May, I think now given (1) the start we've had (2) given the players he's brought in on a miniscule budget, he deserves a chance to prove his worth (imo).
Who knows , thats would be up to the new owners I would of thought, can't imagine they would want to change too much in the short term.
 
One question that nobody has either asked nor answered.

Should a Takeover actually happen, what becomes of Hecky et al given that new owners usually want their own man?

Should he stay or should he be replaced?

Whilst I wouldn't have been bothered had he left in May, I think now given (1) the start we've had (2) given the players he's brought in on a miniscule budget, he deserves a chance to prove his worth (imo).
I think your second point about him being the reason we’ve managed to attract some quality players for virtually bugger all should give him a very good chance.
 
He mentions it in most interviews or podcasts that he does though. Often says that there's always discussions but it's about finding the right people that are serious.

The only different thing from yesterday's podcast compared to others was him bringing up the point of more eyes on us since the Liverpool game and SpudBros.
I agree and am inclined to think that if there really was something serious in the offing, there'd be an agreement to keep quiet about it. Hopefully I'm wrong.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top