Skip to main content

A depressing cancer thread .

A depressing cancer thread .

Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
4,805
Bit of a personal one this, and not something I ever imagined I'd be writing on here.I'm only 54.
I've been dealing with stage 4 kidney cancer for the last few months. Unfortunately the tumour had grown into the main vein (IVC) coming from the kidney, which meant surgery wasn't possible, so I've been having immunotherapy and targeted treatment instead.

It's been a pretty rough few months if I'm honest. I've got a season ticket but only been well enough to watch on TV.(Some might say that's fortunate) Treatment has had to be stopped and restarted a few times because of various complications, including a recent spell in hospital with sepsis, and I've only managed two rounds of immunotherapy so far.
Today I've had some more worrying news following a heart scan, which suggests the tumour may have travelled further up the IVC towards/reaching the heart. I'm waiting to hear properly from oncology and hopefully have further scans to establish exactly what's going on, so I don't want to jump too far ahead of myself.
I'm not posting this looking for sympathy really. I've been on PNE Online a long time and sometimes it just helps to put things down in words amongst people you spend far too much time arguing about football with. 😅
It's frightening, I'm not going to pretend otherwise, but I'm still here, still fighting it and still following North End — although I'm not sure which of those is worse for my blood pressure at the moment. If one day I'm not posting im with the gentry.
Up the Whites. 🤍💙
 
Sorry to hear this Hitch. Fingers crossed things start looking up for you but rest assured you've the thoughts and best wishes of many of us. Glad you felt able to post about it and hope it's cathartic of sorts at least. Best wishes to you and your family dealing with all of this
 
Sorry to hear this Hitch. Fingers crossed things start looking up for you but rest assured you've the thoughts and best wishes of many of us. Glad you felt able to post about it and hops it's cathartic of sorts at least. Best wishes to you and your family dealing with all of this
Thanks I really appreciate it .Both my parents died within the last year so it's been a bit shit . Luckily my wife has been an angel and helped me so much .
 
Your post was both painful and inspiring to read. Cancer is such a bugger. Not surprising it's been rough, and I guess that will continue for a while at least, but it is truly amazing what they can do nowadays.

I so hope you are afforded the opportunity to make this like a new beginning in your life. All the best Hitch.
 
Stay strong Hitch, your attitude to this amazing and take a day at a time .
My wife was diagnosed in June with a bladder cancer growth, she also suffered sepsis and is currently still in hospital.
Just got to hope and be positive and trust all the medical staff.
Thoughts are with you , scary times ,resolve and mental strength key allies.
 
Back
Top