Skip to main content

Confirmed Alfie Devine joins on a Season Long Loan (Option to Buy included).

Confirmed Alfie Devine joins on a Season Long Loan (Option to Buy included).

Status
Not open for further replies.
All well and good having a fee agreed in principle but the player still has to want to sign. He'll be on very good money at Spurs and there will be plenty of other clubs willing to pay him a lot more than we can afford.
 
All well and good having a fee agreed in principle but the player still has to want to sign. He'll be on very good money at Spurs and there will be plenty of other clubs willing to pay him a lot more than we can afford.
Don't see him staying at Spurs, recently bought a house in his native Lowton/Golborne area, so doesn't have plans to head back to London.

But it's other clubs I worry about. I've no doubt he's loving his stay here and if we could afford his fee and wages, he'd join. But I can't see either of those happening, whereas it's peanuts for other clubs.
 
Don't see him staying at Spurs, recently bought a house in his native Lowton/Golborne area, so doesn't have plans to head back to London.

But it's other clubs I worry about. I've no doubt he's loving his stay here and if we could afford his fee and wages, he'd join. But I can't see either of those happening, whereas it's peanuts for other clubs.
Exactly that, I could see him at Burnley if they come down this year unfortunately.
 
That’s not how the payment of fees works. Clubs can apportion the fee for accounting purposes over the length of the contract. But that isn’t related to the payment terms for the actual purchase:

If we buy someone for say £5m and give them a 5 year contract; their value to us reduces by £1m per year.

What we pay to the selling club is negotiated separately and is probably paid in 2-3 instalments over 2-3 years. Obviously if the selling club agrees we could spread it over the 5 years but I don’t believe that is common.
 
Don't see him staying at Spurs, recently bought a house in his native Lowton/Golborne area, so doesn't have plans to head back to London.

But it's other clubs I worry about. I've no doubt he's loving his stay here and if we could afford his fee and wages, he'd join. But I can't see either of those happening, whereas it's peanuts for other clubs.
Isn’t that house for his Mum though? She’s HR at Astra Zeneca in that neck of the woods.
 
Isn’t that house for his Mum though? She’s HR at Astra Zeneca in that neck of the woods.
Not what I was told, his house and a clear indication that he sees his future away from Spurs.

Which to be fair isn’t groundbreaking or a shock, highly unlikely he’ll crack the first team there anytime soon.
 
Not what I was told, his house and a clear indication that he sees his future away from Spurs.

Which to be fair isn’t groundbreaking or a shock, highly unlikely he’ll crack the first team there anytime soon.
Sounds reasonable mate. I was only guessing and sounds like you know more than me
 
That’s not how the payment of fees works. Clubs can apportion the fee for accounting purposes over the length of the contract. But that isn’t related to the payment terms for the actual purchase:

If we buy someone for say £5m and give them a 5 year contract; their value to us reduces by £1m per year.

What we pay to the selling club is negotiated separately and is probably paid in 2-3 instalments over 2-3 years. Obviously if the selling club agrees we could spread it over the 5 years but I don’t believe that is common.

Yes, clubs frequently borrow in advance of receipt of instalments of the silly transfers fees these days but the fact that Devine is available for pocket change for a lot of clubs won’t help our negotiations with Spurs!

That said, there doesn’t seem much point agreeing a fee ahead of a loan deal without agreeing payment terms at the same time.
 
Yes, clubs frequently borrow in advance of receipt of instalments of the silly transfers fees these days but the fact that Devine is available for pocket change for a lot of clubs won’t help our negotiations with Spurs!

That said, there doesn’t seem much point agreeing a fee ahead of a loan deal without agreeing payment terms at the same time.
Thats right. The terms of the fee would already be agreed to allow there to be an option to buy in the loan deal.

Just depends if we actually move forward with that, or if we decide we can't afford it or that structure and then try offer them some different kind of terms instead, which they'd then be able to reject as it wasn't what was initially agreed. So we'll never know what the structure is, as we don't with any deal, unless they get spoken about by those involved.
 
That’s not how the payment of fees works. Clubs can apportion the fee for accounting purposes over the length of the contract. But that isn’t related to the payment terms for the actual purchase:

If we buy someone for say £5m and give them a 5 year contract; their value to us reduces by £1m per year.

What we pay to the selling club is negotiated separately and is probably paid in 2-3 instalments over 2-3 years. Obviously if the selling club agrees we could spread it over the 5 years but I don’t believe that is common.
Yeah. I’ve explained multiple times on here that the accounting treatment of a transfer is distinct from its cash flow impact, and the two shouldn’t be conflated. Rarely seems to be taken on board.
 
One aim should be promoted that way the loans have a chance of staying if not I think it's quite simple with these owners, they go back and end up somewhere else in the championship
 
Don't see him staying at Spurs, recently bought a house in his native Lowton/Golborne area, so doesn't have plans to head back to London.

But it's other clubs I worry about. I've no doubt he's loving his stay here and if we could afford his fee and wages, he'd join. But I can't see either of those happening, whereas it's peanuts for other clubs.
Didn’t know he was a pie eater !!!
 
All well and good having a fee agreed in principle but the player still has to want to sign. He'll be on very good money at Spurs and there will be plenty of other clubs willing to pay him a lot more than we can afford.
Unfortunately we won’t pay the fee, he will end up at another top end champ team. Same old story,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top