Skip to main content

Confirmed Alfie Devine joins on a Season Long Loan (Option to Buy included).

Confirmed Alfie Devine joins on a Season Long Loan (Option to Buy included).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure get shot down in flames here but...

Does anyone think he is worth the alleged fee of £4.5m?

Because so far, I think that fee is overpriced by around £2m.

We cannot, under the paltry budget allowed by these owners, spunk it all on one player.

Unless of course a new owner with a generous wallet arrives.

He has some talent but I'm unsure if he is what we need, especially at that price. Yes, I know it's a pittance for nearly every other Championship Club.

I'm torn on this one.

Bulletproof Vest applied.
Interesting one isn't it. I think he's a fantastic player and if we had the budget of top side in the division its a no brainer. We don't though.

I just don't see us finding another attacking midfield who can score , assist, take set pieces etc. He's exposed Mads as a pretty average number 10 this season.
 
Been our most influential player, and would be even more influential if we didn’t continue shoehorning him into the right of a flat midfield three and making him run back and forth rather than letting him get close to the front man

Irrelevant like. Our owners won’t even fund an academy properly, they won’t spend 4m in a window full stop, never mind on one player
 
Last edited:
I'm sure get shot down in flames here but...

Does anyone think he is worth the alleged fee of £4.5m?

Because so far, I think that fee is overpriced by around £2m.

We cannot, under the paltry budget allowed by these owners, spunk it all on one player.

Unless of course a new owner with a generous wallet arrives.

He has some talent but I'm unsure if he is what we need, especially at that price. Yes, I know it's a pittance for nearly every other Championship Club.

I'm torn on this one.

Bulletproof Vest applied.
A question worth asking.

I've largely been impressed with Devine - he does have some shortcomings but they can easily be worked on and I can see him getting better.
For the fee - I'm not sure but if we did go ahead and signed him permanently, I'd certainly support it.

I think we could get much more out of him but I think he's affected by the lack of a decent midfield (as mentioned by others, shoehorned elsewhere) and a lack of a decent strikeforce to work with/feed onto.

Only one of very few to come out with some credit last night.
 
I'm sure get shot down in flames here but...

Does anyone think he is worth the alleged fee of £4.5m?

I think he is when you consider the current market. He's 21, probably our most influential attacking player and one of the more consistent performers. On an investment basis we should be able to make a profit on him.

We cannot, under the paltry budget allowed by these owners, spunk it all on one player.

Unless of course a new owner with a generous wallet arrives.

I agree with this though. This has been an will continue to be the problem as long as the Hemmings own us. I think most other Championship sides can afford that fee. We definitely won't and even if we could, it would be our entire budget when I still think there are other deficiencies (lack of options up front, no real backup for Lewis Gibson).

He has some talent but I'm unsure if he is what we need, especially at that price. Yes, I know it's a pittance for nearly every other Championship Club.

I think he is what we need in terms of what he brings to the team and as a means of generating future revenue. Without the loanees there isn't a lot of creativity to this squad, as we saw last season. Moreover, there's not many sellable assets in the squad and even fewer you could get a 'big fee' for. Devine should pay for himself and others. But you're right the issue is we'd probably blow our entire budget on him, when we have more recruitment to do.
 
Last edited:
Some good decent thoughtful replies. Cheers.
The issue is we just do not have the funds to buy for the reported asking price of £4-£5 m.
Yet at only 21 he is the type of player who could develop and prosper in the right team, with the right management and coaching.
The type of player whose value could double or treble in a couple of seasons, allowing us to cash in and reinvest.🤔
 
A forward thinking side with profit on their mind snaps Spurs hand off.

We aren’t though.
We'd never come close to his wage demands.

Spurs might pay the remainder of his wage until his contract there is supposed to expire, but he's still not going to accept less than £20k a week here. It's only an option if we go up.

Supposed to be on £35k a week at Spurs, which is the norm at these top academies.
 
I'm sure get shot down in flames here but...

Does anyone think he is worth the alleged fee of £4.5m?

Because so far, I think that fee is overpriced by around £2m.

We cannot, under the paltry budget allowed by these owners, spunk it all on one player.

Unless of course a new owner with a generous wallet arrives.

He has some talent but I'm unsure if he is what we need, especially at that price. Yes, I know it's a pittance for nearly every other Championship Club.

I'm torn on this one.

Bulletproof Vest applied.

The key thing is though, is that it is the price at the end of the season not what he is worth now.

He's here to get games and experience which will increase his value, and like KKH not being worth £3.5million after his Plymouth loan, Devine will likely be the next young player with (soon to be) proven Championship quality that Coventry can buy for a significant but reasonable price, with a good chance of making treble that in profit AND promotion.
 
I think Devine is a cracking player; intelligent, plenty of skill, sees a pass, scores goals, works hard. He the one who really makes our attack tick, in my opinion.

He’s only 21 and will get better. Absolute no-brainer to sign him for £4.5m if we have the opportunity, but I very much doubt we will unless our ownership changes before the Summer.
 
Alfie is a very good footballer and I would hope the club finds a way to sign him full time. The potential return ,down the line, on the costs will be in excess of the alleged agreed fee.
The current owners may be thinking that future owners may benefit from the future sale if the club changes hands before Devine moves.
Sooner there are new reliable, committed long term owners the better.
 
Would be a no brainer to sign Devine, for a club with ambition the fee would be no bother in this day and age.

The snag would be that he will have offers from such clubs, ones prepared to outbid us wages especially.
 
Really?? I thought he was a level above anyone else in a Preston shirt.
I thought Dobbin was our best player tonight tbh, everything seemed to come through him.

On another day Devine controls the ball and is through on goal twice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top