Skip to main content

Rank PNE's Best to Worst Managers

Rank PNE's Best to Worst Managers

Grayson got us our only promotion in the last
26 years.... That's good enough for me 👍
Yep. Neil was good but I always think managers should be remembered for what they achieved at the club.

What did Neil achieve here? In twenty years time are people going to say ‘bloody hell do you remember that season we finished 7th under Neil’ or are they going to remember the season we finally broke our play off hoodoo?

I mean I know what I will remember.
 
Yep. Neil was good but I always think managers should be remembered for what they achieved at the club.

What did Neil achieve here? In twenty years time are people going to say ‘bloody hell do you remember that season we finished 7th under Neil’ or are they going to remember the season we finally broke our play off hoodoo?

I mean I know what I will remember.
Spot on Ribby , that's how I view it ..
 
Yep. Neil was good but I always think managers should be remembered for what they achieved at the club.

What did Neil achieve here? In twenty years time are people going to say ‘bloody hell do you remember that season we finished 7th under Neil’ or are they going to remember the season we finally broke our play off hoodoo?

I mean I know what I will remember.
This is the way I see it, too.

I don't subscribe to this "levels" talk when it comes to football managers.

It's the leaders who actually got us over the line who should be held in the highest regard.
 
I’ve supported Preston North End since 2004.

Grayson has given me the greatest moment in that time.

I don’t care how Neil performed with his squad. Football is about moments and that was a greater moment than anything Neil produced (although he was a good manager for us.) Unless you didn’t enjoy that day?
Yeah. I suppose I was looking at it through the lens of who the better manager actually was for us with all things considered (division and standard of squad relative to that, style of play etc).

Got a lot of time for Grayson, obviously. Wonder if he regrets that Sunderland move.
 
Just been listening to Grayson on the Pulis/Mick McCarthy podcast.

Wherever people rank him on the list he was EXACTLY the manager needed to sort this club out when it was drifting in bottom half of league one with the awful bloated squad Westley had constructed.

He quickly got rid of the awful ones, kept the decent ones like Hunts, Welsh and Laird and built from there. Maybe wouldn't have got in the play offs under him in champ as he was a nearly manager for that at Leeds but it was a very good squad AN inherited. Difference was Grayson was backed more generally although maybe due to him having the contacts and the players wanting to play for him, I don't know?

If this club had been relegated then you'd like to think Grezza could do the same but it's a bigger ask to attempt it a division higher.

I'd rather Grayson a place higher than AN although I did enjoy most of Alex's reign so no real slight on him.

Westley by a mile at the bottom, just awful football, results, ideas.

Frankie is a strange one. I think everyone knew he was chancing it getting the full time gig but it was five straight wins to get the club going again from difficult position in the league. Just having a look at 21/22. Poor start and then he was running at just over a point per game for rest of his spell. In his last 6 games he won 2-1 at Bournemouth, same at Boro and got a 1-1 at home to Fulham who had a prem standard side that year so it wasn't always awful although after the Lashers defeat he was another bad performance from the sack and that happened at Plastics.

Considering how low the expectations were I'd probably rank him par with Lowe and PH! Had 25 points after 21 games and the other two certainly had worse spells than for half a season in their respective tenures.
 
Frankie is a strange one. I think everyone knew he was chancing it getting the full time gig but it was five straight wins to get the club going again from difficult position in the league. Just having a look at 21/22. Poor start and then he was running at just over a point per game for rest of his spell. In his last 6 games he won 2-1 at Bournemouth, same at Boro and got a 1-1 at home to Fulham who had a prem standard side that year so it wasn't always awful although after the Lashers defeat he was another bad performance from the sack and that happened at Plastics.
The home win againt Swansea was one of the best home performances I've seen from us in the last decade.
 
Yeah. I suppose I was looking at it through the lens of who the better manager actually was for us with all things considered (division and standard of squad relative to that, style of play etc).

Got a lot of time for Grayson, obviously. Wonder if he regrets that Sunderland move.

According to the podcast, no. Said he'd have kicked himself if he'd stayed and someone else had sorted Sunderland out and took them up but that obviously didn't happen. He realised by the second day of pre season training there 3/4 of the squad wanted out.

Wasn't too much on his PNE spell bar the play offs really. He also said he turned down going back to Leeds at some point in 2016.
 
Funny how when we’re looking at potential new managers, you review the stats at previous clubs. But when voting on this list, that doesn’t really matter, you’re going off your own personal memories of their time as manager. For me that’s not just about wins and league position, but enjoyment, style of play, achievements, etc.

Grayson above Neil.
 
I think that when people are judging the long list of incumbents in living memory, and there are some good and some bad, they all have had the same problem.

They have to a man managed with one hand tied behind their back.

I reckon that, especially the ones over the last 30 to 40 years, have found themselves at a point where they find themselves asking, "what the fuck am I doing working for these unambitious idiots" and the sack or a new opertunity came as a great relief.
 
From a feel good point of view John McGrath should have been on that list ....

1986/87 was a magical season to be a North End fan..
👏🏻

The resurrection over that season is well documented.

A fantastic time to be a North End fan. The 80’s The away trips The youthfullness The carefreeness The beer The memories. The simplicity of it all.
 
Back
Top