Skip to main content

Safe standing.

Safe standing.

Poll Poll Do you support the introduction of a safe standing area at Deepdale?


  • Total voters
    164
I couldn’t think of anything more North End than the whole ground starting to join in in the minutes before they scored the second. Utterly typical.
 
BRing in a small band on the town end that will do the trick

It worked a treat in the mid 90’s….

Dave Hovis was on the trumpet and a couple of drummers were there every home match….

I loved standing in the Town End in those days, lots of balloons and ticker tape and a great noise.

A fantastic atmosphere every home game.
 
They desperately need to change things in terms of pre match and half time etc.

It's stagnation at its finest.

And post match if we've won. After the Coventry game the whole ground was clapping along to Status Quo but by the first chorus the PA guy was telling us the PNE Women were playing the next day, tickets were on sale for the next 17 home games and that a grey Vauxhall Viva was blocking traffic on Exe Street. Talk about mood kill.
 
And post match if we've won. After the Coventry game the whole ground was clapping along to Status Quo but by the first chorus the PA guy was telling us the PNE Women were playing the next day, tickets were on sale for the next 17 home games and that a grey Vauxhall Viva was blocking traffic on Exe Street. Talk about mood kill.

Totally agree , I thought the same at the time.

I remember back in the 80’s if we won then the DJ would play “ Celebration “ by Kool and the Gang….

When we lost he would play “ Why does my heart feel so bad “ by Moby

That’s what we need a DJ who can read the situation…
 
I have put some of the suggestions raised in how the atmosphere to be improved on this thread to the club.

Will let you know of any outcome.

Hope one of the suggestions was to get rid of Peter Ridsfail. Because that would certainly raise the atmosphere
 
It worked a treat in the mid 90’s….

Dave Hovis was on the trumpet and a couple of drummers were there every home match….

I loved standing in the Town End in those days, lots of balloons and ticker tape and a great noise.

A fantastic atmosphere every home game.

Steve from Macclesfield used to turn up with a couple of carrier bags of balloons, that he'd cadged of the shops. My daughters used to love the atmosphere them days.
 
that old town end certaily lent itself to a good atmosphere, which is exactly why Beck had us all moved from the old Kop to there.
 
Totally agree , I thought the same at the time.

I remember back in the 80’s if we won then the DJ would play “ Celebration “ by Kool and the Gang….

When we lost he would play “ Why does my heart feel so bad “ by Moby

That’s what we need a DJ who can read the situation…

Seeing as Moby only released that in '99 the DJ must have had some serious industry contacts to get that song 20 years early!!
 
And post match if we've won. After the Coventry game the whole ground was clapping along to Status Quo but by the first chorus the PA guy was telling us the PNE Women were playing the next day, tickets were on sale for the next 17 home games and that a grey Vauxhall Viva was blocking traffic on Exe Street. Talk about mood kill.

Advertising the sale of tickets and the woman's game should be done during half time - there's no need for them to do it after the game.
 
Totally agree , I thought the same at the time.

I remember back in the 80’s if we won then the DJ would play “ Celebration “ by Kool and the Gang….

When we lost he would play “ Why does my heart feel so bad “ by Moby

That’s what we need a DJ who can read the situation…

The guy who was at rock fm in the Billy Davies era was superb at Deepdale.
I don't think the current guy is bad to be fair. He's dealing with:
Having to put out a million notices - pre match, half time and post match;
An ageing, failing sound system;
Apathy from the last two years of Lowe ball.
 
I'm thinking back to last season and atmosphere:
Plymouth was a good atmosphere pretty much throughout.
Birmingham was good from the equaliser onwards.
Then there was the West Brom game (0-4).
Southampton was decent, then after Coventry we went on that awful run.
Leeds was an excellent atmosphere, Ipswich was good, then we went on another really poor run.

This season:
Luton was decent, Rovers was okay considering the way the game played out, Fulham was good, Watford and Coventry were poor, Arsenal was flat first half but decent second half. And then there was Saturday.

On that basis, it looks like we need either a good or exciting game and/or a loud away following to get us going.
I don't think we're alone in that at all. Home atmospheres generally aren't great these days. Pricing, all seater stadia, generally side to side short passing football, fixed seating positions (people can't easily sit with their mates) - all of these (and more) are problems throughout football, not just at Deepdale.

Out of all the clubs in the Championship, here are the ones where I've witnessed a genuinely good atmosphere generated by their home fans:
Leeds
Sheff utd (sometimes)
Burnley (derby, when they're flying)
Coventry
Derby (play off semi only)

That's it. We're not alone.
 
I'm thinking back to last season and atmosphere:
Plymouth was a good atmosphere pretty much throughout.
Birmingham was good from the equaliser onwards.
Then there was the West Brom game (0-4).
Southampton was decent, then after Coventry we went on that awful run.
Leeds was an excellent atmosphere, Ipswich was good, then we went on another really poor run.

This season:
Luton was decent, Rovers was okay considering the way the game played out, Fulham was good, Watford and Coventry were poor, Arsenal was flat first half but decent second half. And then there was Saturday.

On that basis, it looks like we need either a good or exciting game and/or a loud away following to get us going.
I don't think we're alone in that at all. Home atmospheres generally aren't great these days. Pricing, all seater stadia, generally side to side short passing football, fixed seating positions (people can't easily sit with their mates) - all of these (and more) are problems throughout football, not just at Deepdale.

Out of all the clubs in the Championship, here are the ones where I've witnessed a genuinely good atmosphere generated by their home fans:
Leeds
Sheff utd (sometimes)
Burnley (derby, when they're flying)
Coventry
Derby (play off semi only)

That's it. We're not alone.

Went to Burnley quite regularly during the late 90s and early 2000s. Used to go with a mate when I couldn’t get to Nobbers away.

Flat as a fart - usually.
Went away with them to Stockport County one season. Flat as a fart.

They e got good support but it needs a kick start or momentum, like most.
 
Went to Burnley quite regularly during the late 90s and early 2000s. Used to go with a mate when I couldn’t get to Nobbers away.

Flat as a fart - usually.
Went away with them to Stockport County one season. Flat as a fart.

They e got good support but it needs a kick start or momentum, like most.

Yeah, I can only comment on the derby games, when they've generally been good if they're doing well.
 
The Best fans in Europe have had some dreadful atmospheres this season, as stated by their own fans on their forum and there has been plenty of times when their fans have gone to games dressed as orange seats 😂

As I said in a previous post , it’s all about what happens on the pitch , even at places like Anfield , Old Trafford and in particular the Etihad , I suspect that it’s the same the world over…
 
Back
Top