Matchday Thread Bolton Wanderers v PNE | 15.08.26 | KO:12:30pm | Championship
- Joined
- Jun 29, 2020
- Messages
- 7,738
We managed to turn up against relegated teams early on in the season last year (beat Ipswich and Leicester at home) so I am hopeful we will show up next weekend against Wolves.
If we get comfortably beat, I think there needs to be some pressure on the manager though.
Charlton looked brilliant today and beat my tip for the Top 8 in Derby. Bristol City are then very much like us - in transition but I do like their business, that could go either way.
I’m then writing off Rovers because we constantly get beat in derbies under Hecky followed by two trips to London (kind of) against Watford and QPR.
No easy game at this level as we also have Lincoln in there too who were decent for 60 mins against Boro today.
Really do feel we need get a result next week, even if it’s just a point to kick start our season as we honestly look lost of ideas when we go 1 behind currently.
If we get comfortably beat, I think there needs to be some pressure on the manager though.
Charlton looked brilliant today and beat my tip for the Top 8 in Derby. Bristol City are then very much like us - in transition but I do like their business, that could go either way.
I’m then writing off Rovers because we constantly get beat in derbies under Hecky followed by two trips to London (kind of) against Watford and QPR.
No easy game at this level as we also have Lincoln in there too who were decent for 60 mins against Boro today.
Really do feel we need get a result next week, even if it’s just a point to kick start our season as we honestly look lost of ideas when we go 1 behind currently.
- Joined
- Jun 10, 2004
- Messages
- 16,804
It wouldn’t surprise me if Zedan is closely watching PH and how he performs, especially given the amount of money we are spending this transfer window which must be a record high. If PH does not impress as soon as the takeover happens Zedan will then get rid. However, if PH does start to get the lads playing very well together I think he will be given longer to impress.
I think as much as anything it's frustration with the manager's tactics and approach and the fact he's the only person in Preston that would have gone with that team. Why is it going to change....?We’ve proved the last couple of seasons that it’s not how you start - it’s how you finish.
I honestly couldn’t give that much of a shit about the result today. It’s always horrific on here after a loss, but I’m surprised so many seem to be distraught about today’s game. We are a squad in transition, new players and a different formation. We know there are more quality additions to come. I’m really not sure what people expected today. We’re a work in progress.
The fact the takeover is clearly now happening and we’re spending proper money to build a competitive squad is far more important than a lousy result/performance in our first game of the season.
Yesterday was one of the best days as a PNE fan for decades and as long as we see clear progress over the next few months I’m staying positive.
- Joined
- Jun 10, 2004
- Messages
- 16,804
I cannot remember reading whether it has been asked but why did the linesman stop the corner being taken when Devine and I cannot remember who it was were stood next to each other with either of them looking like they could take the corner? The linesman (assistant) seemed to ask which of the two was going to take the corner, what has it got to do with him? Are there rules now about only one being allowed to address the ball at corners?
- Joined
- Jun 2, 2015
- Messages
- 18,535
Oddly enough, I've just been listening to some old Ultravox tracks while driving back from visiting my mum. Some of the song titles summed up our performance today..
'Slow Motion'
'Sleepwalk'
'All stood still.'
'Slow Motion'
'Sleepwalk'
'All stood still.'
- Joined
- May 18, 2006
- Messages
- 1,259
I woul
exactly how I feel. If results improve due to better players I feel it will be papering over the cracks of Heckys poor tactical ability.To be fair @Gordon Bennett , I think most people are angry at the way we got beat, not that we actually got beat,
That starting 11 was honking, then not to do anything about at half time was ineptitude of Ridsdale levels.
We are in transition and he probably gets a free pass next week against Wolves, but tactics and performances have to get better very quickly.
I have said previously today is the first day I have really had a pop at Hecky, but the blame for today is squarely with him.
- Joined
- Jul 13, 2019
- Messages
- 4,949
It was Thompson. When he confirmed it was Devine taking it he wouldn’t let Thompson stand off the pitchI cannot remember reading whether it has been asked but why did the linesman stop the corner being taken when Devine and I cannot remember who it was were stood next to each other with either of them looking like they could take the corner? The linesman (assistant) seemed to ask which of the two was going to take the corner, what has it got to do with him? Are there rules now about only one being allowed to address the ball at corners?
- Joined
- Jun 8, 2004
- Messages
- 6,780
To be fair @Gordon Bennett , I think most people are angry at the way we got beat, not that we actually got beat,
Exactly this.
Losing any game can happen, but losing it in that manner, with such tactical incompetence and managerial self-harm? 😡
Lowe and Frankie would have been slaughtered for it.
After two years of (largely) dross, Hecky has zero credit in the bank.
A few more performances like today and the knives will be out for sure.
- Joined
- Jun 8, 2004
- Messages
- 6,780
We looked more like Passing Strangers. 🙃Oddly enough, I've just been listening to some old Ultravox tracks while driving back from visiting my mum. Some of the song titles summed up our performance today..
'Slow Motion'
'Sleepwalk'
'All stood still.'
Well the drawer is slowly opening…Exactly this.
Losing any game can happen, but losing it in that manner, with such tactical incompetence and managerial self-harm? 😡
Lowe and Frankie would have been slaughtered for it.
After two years of (largely) dross, Hecky has zero credit in the bank.
A few more performances like today and the knives will be out for sure.
- Joined
- Jan 5, 2021
- Messages
- 6,550
Well done. But my point is you didn’t call the manager a tactical numpty for playing him there in a game we won.Outcomes tend to be quite important
- Joined
- Jan 4, 2008
- Messages
- 13,264
To be fair @Gordon Bennett , I think most people are angry at the way we got beat, not that we actually got beat,
That starting 11 was honking, then not to do anything about at half time was ineptitude of Ridsdale levels.
We are in transition and he probably gets a free pass next week against Wolves, but tactics and performances have to get better very quickly.
I have said previously today is the first day I have really had a pop at Hecky, but the blame for today is squarely with him.
I didn’t like the starting lineup either, I’m really looking at the bigger picture.
If Heckingbottom doesn’t get results with the new squad, he’ll be gone. Simple as that.
Maybe I’m just more relaxed about it than some.
Smoke some of what Gordon's on.Can't help but feel worried about the season with Heckingbottom in charge.
Isn’t it the minority investor who will be in charge of running the club? Will Zedan have that much involvement?It wouldn’t surprise me if Zedan is closely watching PH and how he performs, especially given the amount of money we are spending this transfer window which must be a record high. If PH does not impress as soon as the takeover happens Zedan will then get rid. However, if PH does start to get the lads playing very well together I think he will be given longer to impress.
- Joined
- May 18, 2006
- Messages
- 1,259
Someone else will pull the trigger but I’m sure Zedan will point the gun.Isn’t it the minority investor who will be in charge of running the club? Will Zedan have that much involvement?
But Gordon....the bigger picture is waisted with Heckingbottom in charge....he has had more than enough time and chances....What's his win ratio?....fresh start needed all round....yes optimism going forward regarding the club but sorry not with boring safety first Heckingbottom....got to go.I didn’t like the starting lineup either, I’m really looking at the bigger picture.
If Heckingbottom doesn’t get results with the new squad, he’ll be gone. Simple as that.
Maybe I’m just more relaxed about it than some.
But who will load the bullet?Someone else will pull the trigger but I’m sure Zedan will point the gun.
Probably the bigger question imo.