Skip to main content

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

If it wasn't for the fact he reduced the player wages by a considerable amount, he would be bottom.

Thing is, was that his job or the chairman's?

He was brought in to be a meat shield to Trevor Hemmings'/Peter Ridsdale's budget cuts and to assemble a squad and get results from whatever money was left

The squad he built was pretty poor and he didn't get results.
 
Thing is, was that his job or the chairman's?

He was brought in to be a meat shield to Trevor Hemmings'/Peter Ridsdale's budget cuts and to assemble a squad and get results from whatever money was left

The squad he built was pretty poor and he didn't get results.
The results are why I have him near the bottom.

Grayson made some additions to his squad and did get results, including improving Garner, who Westley brought to the club.
 
The results are why I have him near the bottom.

Grayson made some additions to his squad and did get results, including improving Garner, who Westley brought to the club.

I agree with all that, I'm just saying that personally I don't judge 'cutting wages' to be a Westley success. I attribute the finances side of things to the chairman.

I can sympathise with an argument that Westley changed the club culture though through how much he churned that squad.
 
I agree with all that, I'm just saying that personally I don't judge 'cutting wages' to be a Westley success. I attribute the finances side of things to the chairman.

I can sympathise with an argument that Westley changed the club culture though through how much he churned that squad.
Point taken, I see what you are saying.

I would though suggest Westley did play his part in it.
 
Ramsay was shit, always injured, and sent back in January. Delap & Parrott did absolutely nothing here and looked like L1 players at the time. Archer & Cannon were only here for half a season.

KKH and Greenwood were here under Heckingbottom, not Lowe. In fact, our best crop of loans in a single season was probably last year.

But good attempt.
Oh missed sepp too
 
Westley was shite at a lower level. Turned the club into a joke.

It's not a skill to sell players and replace them with worthless crap.
Considering people like to bring up win percentages with Heckingbottom, it's worth noting that Westley's was worse (as was Ferguson's). Plus Grayson had to come in and make a fair few changes to get us promoted anyway so Westley's wrecking ball approach didn't really help that much.
 
Even more deluded than I thought if he thinks he is going to get another job in the championship!

I now rank him as one of the two joint worst PNE managers while I have been watching the club.
You are obviously a lot younger than me Kaiser…

In my time watching North End , we have had Tommy Docherty, Brian Kidd, Tommy Booth , Darren Ferguson and Graham Westley who were all worse than Heckingbottom….
 
Last edited:
You also missed Diaby, Onomah, Woodburn, Stewart, and Whatmough...

Guy was given a fraction of the transfer budget Heckingbottom was, yet he finished 10th.
If you're talking about this season's budget then it was a fraction. For Heckingbottom's first season, he had a lower budget to spend considering he joined post-Okkels. For his second season, the summer budget was largely generated by the player sales. The January window was again boosted by players sales but then the Lang one seems to have come about off the back of Zedan's press talk about the Hemmings needing to invest (when he complained about the "lack of constructive engagement by club owners as money coming early into the transfer window which is now closing was key to [Mr Zedan's] enthusiasm for supporting the club, its community and loyal fan base").

It's only really this summer where he has been given money to spend which again is linked to the takeover business.
 
I think grezza will be exactly like Moyes, he will get the best out of the players we already have, he's a man manager. Where he may struggle like Moyes will be in player acquisition. In the lower leagues the player abilities do not matter as much as solid organisation and hard work.

But right now we don't need player acquisition anyway, we have the players we just need someone who can get them playing to their best and Grezza will do that.
Will have his work cut out with Hughes Lindsay and Storey to contend with .
 
Don't know what happened to Hecky but he seemed to lose any idea of what to do when losing and also couldn't see out a win, panic subs and tactics plus team selections so in the end the club had no choice. He was the orchestrator of his own downfall.

So his loss is our gain because getting GA & CL is a real win for us, well I am hoping it is. I saw both play for us and both were quality and hard working professionals.

Hopefully its a full house for them, you can feel the buzz around the message boards and sites, fans are back excited. Lets get behind them against Millwall I can see Deepdale rocking once again
 
Joint worst with Brown.

I don't have Frankie in a list cause he was not in charge long enough for me.

I hated Westley as a manager but he was responsible for re-shaping the squad and clearing out some real issues.

Its all opinions but I have to put Lowe above PH.
Very fair points. Frankie probably in there a bit harshly and probably a little bias from me against him revolving the absolute lack of turning up for the big derby at Bloomfield (could argue that also happened the year after under Lowe).

Id definitely have the other three lower. Westley left us in a genuine League One relegation battle after that Yeovil result which he was subsequently sacked after. Think the most underrated job Grayson did was to get us comfortable that season.

It's an interesting if not morbid discussion though as I do agree PH needs to at least be talked about amongst those managers.
 
I think grezza will be exactly like Moyes, he will get the best out of the players we already have, he's a man manager. Where he may struggle like Moyes will be in player acquisition. In the lower leagues the player abilities do not matter as much as solid organisation and hard work.

But right now we don't need player acquisition anyway, we have the players we just need someone who can get them playing to their best and Grezza will do that.

Yes - I said the other day that the organisation and energy that I am confident that Alexander will bring to the squad should improve us but real success at this level will depend on him getting the best out of the really talented players such as Devine, Offiah, Mills and Leroy we already possess.

The comparison with David Moyes is apt but I think I am right in saying that Moyes never played even at what was then the equivalent of what is now the Championship and certainly not at the top level. But Alexander has done both of those in the first case extensively and also in the second albeit fleetingly for a team whose name escapes me. So he does have direct experience of what it takes to achieve real success at this level.

But right now we have to dig ourselves out of the mire in which we currently find ourselves. If we can do that then we can indulge in thinking about how we might progress from there.
 
Don't know what happened to Hecky but he seemed to lose any idea of what to do when losing and also couldn't see out a win, panic subs and tactics plus team selections so in the end the club had no choice. He was the orchestrator of his own downfall.

So his loss is our gain because getting GA & CL is a real win for us, well I am hoping it is. I saw both play for us and both were quality and hard working professionals.

Hopefully its a full house for them, you can feel the buzz around the message boards and sites, fans are back excited. Lets get behind them against Millwall I can see Deepdale rocking once again
I’m not sure about a full house….

Not everyone was happy with the appointment, so it may be that people will “ wait and see “ before they
throw their support behind Alexander and Lucketti…..
 
If you're talking about this season's budget then it was a fraction. For Heckingbottom's first season, he had a lower budget to spend considering he joined post-Okkels. For his second season, the summer budget was largely generated by the player sales. The January window was again boosted by players sales but then the Lang one seems to have come about off the back of Zedan's press talk about the Hemmings needing to invest (when he complained about the "lack of constructive engagement by club owners as money coming early into the transfer window which is now closing was key to [Mr Zedan's] enthusiasm for supporting the club, its community and loyal fan base").

It's only really this summer where he has been given money to spend which again is linked to the takeover business.
Thats a long-winded way of saying he's spent more than Lowe and got worse results.

Even considering Lang & Moran were funded by selling Mads, Okkels, & Thor. He was still allowed to make 9 permanent signings and bring in 7 loans between Jan 25 & Sept 25.

In Lowe's first two windows, his only cash buy was Woodman, and he inherited a worse squad.
 
Back
Top