I've mentioned it before but my mate works for Football Manager, and clubs pay about £200k to use their data. And that's only one source.
I bet Prem clubs spend millions each year just on acquiring data, and that's before any scouting costs.
Some fans that have access to decent data and a video tool like Wyscout can honestly do a better job at identifying players than clubs who don't use it and employ dinosaur managers who dictate the transfer policy.
I'm pretty confident that the players we signed from other Championship clubs under Heckingbottom were his signings. 'Safe', chance of an immediate impact, but short term, and will never be sold for a profit.
If everyone uses it though, they all get the same data. I think the benefit of using when others aren't, has gone. We've missed the boat on that. And conversely I think some are too focussed on data, rather than the basics of football. Got to strike a balance.