Skip to main content

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

My best 2

David Moyes all day long. It wasn’t just the love of the game it was the love our club that also drove him, he made us feel we were in it together rather than a them and us.

Billy Davies (with the support of Craig Brown). It may have ended badly but, he gave us some of the best times to be a NE fan, we had high expectations but they were justified. Now, all we get is to remember who we are and lower them😴
I mention Craig Brown because he built/advised on most of that team that Billy was so successful with.

My worst 2

Graham Westley. Oh dear me I am no expert technician on formations but bloody hell he was worse, I mean look at Sheffield Wednesday away the night before he complained someone had released details of his team for that game. It was one embarrassment after another with him. I was so happy when he cleared off.

Paul’s Simpson. He was more interested in what was in it for him. I recall the players going to USA for pre season and one player saying the training was farcical it was more like a holiday. He also was quite happy for Graham Alexander to go to Burnley and I think it was him that upset a once brilliant team by claiming there were a lot of bad apples in the changing room.
I never liked Paul Simpson either Joan....

There was just something about him that I couldn't take to...
 
I've been a supporter for 54 years.

My top 5 in order, best at the top
David Moyes
Billy Davies
John McGrath
Nobby Stiles
Gary Peters

Worst 5 in order, worst at the top
Paul Simpson
Tommy Docherty
Phil Brown
Darren Ferguson
Graham Westley

I didn't include Frankie because I don't think it's fair to do so.
Yup. A fan for the same length of time and I would agree with these 2 lists: Being a North End fan under Moyes and McGrath was such fun. Ferguson, conversely: pure purgatory.
 
Wasn’t there an accident with one of the player’s children the night before the final? It threw the team selection all over the place.
He was also going to drop Nugent and bring Alexander back to play at right back but didn’t follow through on his instinct - to his eventual regret. If he had done that, I think we would have won, a fresh Nugent against that defence late on and no Claude Davis slipping. He’d have been pilloried if he’d done it and it had gone wrong though.
 
He was also going to drop Nugent and bring Alexander back to play at right back but didn’t follow through on his instinct - to his eventual regret. If he had done that, I think we would have won, a fresh Nugent against that defence late on and no Claude Davis slipping. He’d have been pilloried if he’d done it and it had gone wrong though.
Either way there was no intent by him to mess it up.
 
I looked up Alexander’s record in Scottish Premiership as I was thinking it’s the nearest to Championship level and in particular Rangers /Celtic who are arguably Premiership standard and it’s pretty good overall -Alexander said “During my 18 months at Motherwell, they were the only team we couldn't get points against. We drew with Rangers three times and we beat everyone else, but Celtic were the ones that we couldn't find a way“
 
Would be interesting to hear what the view is now on John
Beck. A marmite one and I hated that time for the style of play. Also we didn’t progress from a low base. However I’m sure there’ll be fans who’ll say he shook the club up, got the Town End rocking, had some training methods ahead of his time and brought in some good characters eg Gary Peters.
Beck was amazing loved every second of it
 
Would be interesting to hear what the view is now on John
Beck. A marmite one and I hated that time for the style of play. Also we didn’t progress from a low base. However I’m sure there’ll be fans who’ll say he shook the club up, got the Town End rocking, had some training methods ahead of his time and brought in some good characters eg Gary Peters.
For excitement Torquay at home in the play offs was one of the best matches I’ve seen.
 
He was a far better manager than ever given credit for, treated disgracefully by the club in his final season.
He messed up big time in his final season, we were 18th when he was sacked. Brought the Balkan Steven Gerrard to the club who was absolutely honking!

He was certainly not the worst manager of PNE during my time, but his football wasn't great, despite the playoff semi-final he took us to.
 
Would love a nostalgic chant for the management duo that isn't just choo choo choo...

Maybe something to Pulp's Disco 2000 (lyrics may need some work):

And I said let’s all meet up in the year 2000
Won’t it be strange with Macken scoring goals
Grezza and Lucketti playing in a back four

I never knew that they’d come back
Back to Deepdale, a place that they call home
Taking Preston to the Premier and beyond
 
Would love a nostalgic chant for the management duo that isn't just choo choo choo...

Maybe something to Pulp's Disco 2000 (lyrics may need some work):

And I said let’s all meet up in the year 2000
Won’t it be strange with Macken scoring goals
Grezza and Lucketti playing in a back four

I never knew that they’d come back
Back to Deepdale, a place that they call home
Taking Preston to the Premier and beyond
Have you tried getting a girlfriend?
 
I seen a video of a Bradford fan asking Michael Appleton if he would get back into management and he said to them he wants to take a break from the big seat and maybe do coaching instead.

Would be good to have him part of Grezza’s team, he’s not the best manager but as a coach alongside GA and CL he might do well.
 
I seen a video of a Bradford fan asking Michael Appleton if he would get back into management and he said to them he wants to take a break from the big seat and maybe do coaching instead.

Would be good to have him part of Grezza’s team, he’s not the best manager but as a coach alongside GA and CL he might do well.
Still based around here I think. Seen him up town a couple of times.
 
Back
Top