Skip to main content

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

Confirmed Graham Alexander New Manager, Chris Lucketti as Assistant

Frankie’s actual record isn’t bad.

14 wins and 10 defeats I think.
I'm surprised, I didn't think his record would've been as good as that.
Simpson the worst?

Westley or Ferguson takes that record for me (only been a supporter since 1999 mind).
For me, yes. Based on the squad he inherited and his ability to fuck it all up. Nothing was ever his fault. Bad apples, Elvis Presley, he even blamed his best mate, Dennis Booth, and got rid of him.
 
When I first started going on North End Cliff Britton was the manager but it was under Jimmy Milne’s stewardship that I really became a fan. The 1963/64 season where they reached the FA cup final was the best I’ve ever seen. They also finished 3rd behind Leeds and Sunderland that season.

The football they played was a joy to watch and every game was so exciting. I know the Moyes and Davies era was successful but believe me the team of 63/64 was something else.
My first team - the 63/64 season my first full year. Good to hear somebody reminiscing about that team. If I had only known that that was going to be the best it was ever going to be...
 
Thing is, was that his job or the chairman's?

He was brought in to be a meat shield to Trevor Hemmings'/Peter Ridsdale's budget cuts and to assemble a squad and get results from whatever money was left

The squad he built was pretty poor and he didn't get results.
Shouldn’t that be Hemmings’/Lindsey’s budget cuts??
 
When I first started going on North End Cliff Britton was the manager but it was under Jimmy Milne’s stewardship that I really became a fan. The 1963/64 season where they reached the FA cup final was the best I’ve ever seen. They also finished 3rd behind Leeds and Sunderland that season.

The football they played was a joy to watch and every game was so exciting. I know the Moyes and Davies era was successful but believe me the team of 63/64 was something else.
Magical time
 
Would be interesting to hear what the view is now on John
Beck. A marmite one and I hated that time for the style of play. Also we didn’t progress from a low base. However I’m sure there’ll be fans who’ll say he shook the club up, got the Town End rocking, had some training methods ahead of his time and brought in some good characters eg Gary Peters.
 
Do you think?

Certainly makes it a lot harder on a personal level to get rid of them after working with them even for a short period.

I think if he was going to replace them the time would be now.
Yes.
Get rid. It needs a clear out. These people are from a different era at the Club.
An unsuccessful era.
 
We were 17th pal when he was sacked and sliding 👍
Sliding, but I still think even now that we could have done better than sacking Irvine.

It became a cycle of negativity and I am not sure what breaks one of those. However, I do wonder whether knowing what we know happened since, we might have been slightly less keen to get rid of Irvine.

It will always be a divisive issue though. I am after all a "blind faither" from that time.

Edit: Removed my ranking sentence as it is not this thread.
 
I would have Davies ahead of Neil ....

Moyes and Davies are the only two managers to get us to Championship PO finals...
Mine was a hybrid of ability & how much I liked them. Davies was a fucking cunt, so that factored in.

Also, I was pretty young during the Davies era, maybe I don't remember it as fondly for that reason. That AN team in his first 2/3 seasons is genuinely my favourite North End side.
 
Last edited:
Probably. Lowe talked absolute crap, whereas Heckingbottom was just depressing.
Headinbottom tops the PNE managerial table for being the most DOUR managerial sod.
Add that to his verbal kicking-off against 'that' Ref , plus him and a.n.other staff member temper-tantrums. He should have been sent packing immediately after the last game of last season.
A closed-down-colliery , depressing demeanor .
Stay well-away from this man, Bradford City fans. They shouldn't even recommend him to Bradford Park Avenue.
 
My best 2

David Moyes all day long. It wasn’t just the love of the game it was the love our club that also drove him, he made us feel we were in it together rather than a them and us.

Billy Davies (with the support of Craig Brown). It may have ended badly but, he gave us some of the best times to be a NE fan, we had high expectations but they were justified. Now, all we get is to remember who we are and lower them😴
I mention Craig Brown because he built/advised on most of that team that Billy was so successful with.

My worst 2

Graham Westley. Oh dear me I am no expert technician on formations but bloody hell he was worse, I mean look at Sheffield Wednesday away the night before he complained someone had released details of his team for that game. It was one embarrassment after another with him. I was so happy when he cleared off.

Paul’s Simpson. He was more interested in what was in it for him. I recall the players going to USA for pre season and one player saying the training was farcical it was more like a holiday. He also was quite happy for Graham Alexander to go to Burnley and I think it was him that upset a once brilliant team by claiming there were a lot of bad apples in the changing room.
 
My best 2

David Moyes all day long. It wasn’t just the love of the game it was the love our club that also drove him, he made us feel we were in it together rather than a them and us.

Billy Davies (with the support of Craig Brown). It may have ended badly but, he gave us some of the best times to be a NE fan, we had high expectations but they were justified. Now, all we get is to remember who we are and lower them😴
I mention Craig Brown because he built/advised on most of that team that Billy was so successful with.

My worst 2

Graham Westley. Oh dear me I am no expert technician on formations but bloody hell he was worse, I mean look at Sheffield Wednesday away the night before he complained someone had released details of his team for that game. It was one embarrassment after another with him. I was so happy when he cleared off.

Paul’s Simpson. He was more interested in what was in it for him. I recall the players going to USA for pre season and one player saying the training was farcical it was more like a holiday. He also was quite happy for Graham Alexander to go to Burnley and I think it was him that upset a once brilliant team by claiming there were a lot of bad apples in the changing room.
can't forgive BD for shitting the bed in the playoff final against a bang average West Ham team, changing a winning side tactically and ending up with 5 strikers on the field that mustered 1 shot on target in 90 minutes.
 
Would be interesting to hear what the view is now on John
Beck. A marmite one and I hated that time for the style of play. Also we didn’t progress from a low base. However I’m sure there’ll be fans who’ll say he shook the club up, got the Town End rocking, had some training methods ahead of his time and brought in some good characters eg Gary Peters.
The Beck era was pretty mad. One surreal moment for me, aside the sprinkling holy water in the corner flag area etc was attending an evening reserve game and accepting a hot pie from a young lass wandering about the terraces selling them from a huge tray. Which was nice - and made me wish they would do that now: wander up and down the stairwell selling hot food to your seat.
So the guy had some forward thinking ideas. Sadly the footballing ones were mostly from the stone ages. But there was positivity around..
 
can't forgive BD for shitting the bed in the playoff final against a bang average West Ham team, changing a winning side tactically and ending up with 5 strikers on the field that mustered 1 shot on target in 90 minutes.
Wasn’t there an accident with one of the player’s children the night before the final? It threw the team selection all over the place.
 
Back
Top