Skip to main content

Summer 2024 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Summer 2024 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if @Sedge_Fan knows if any definite interest in Kent đź‘€

Not heard a name but did say a few weeks ago that we were targeting a free agent who Hecky had worked with before.
He wasn’t released at that time but his agent may have known it was likely and that he would be a free? 🤷🏻‍♂️
 
There's a few parallels with that season
- Started with a young manager who was wedded to one style of play despite the squad
- A squad built on the cheap
- A Chairman/Director reluctant to push the boat out on key players
- Reliance on loanees to try and be the key to the team
- Regularly conceding 3 or more
- Ownership more bothered about recouping what they've spent rather than investing

How bad was the defence in that era, Morgan, Gray, Wayne Brown etc. Davidson was declining like Hughes is now after being a good servant. Youl and SSL were still around but Mawene also getting on although he should've been retained for league one imo considering Clarke Carlisle was signed to replace him. Having Fergie Jr attempting to make that a coherent backline basically meant relegation as there were still decent players in attack like Parkin, Hume and Tracey.

Also I think this is when people actually realised what a huge loss on and off the field Paul McKenna was. Could be echos of Browne moving on and not being replaced properly.

There are many similarities with 10/11 for sure but I think the difference is PH is far more capable of pulling out a win when he really needs one and we've seen that a couple of times beating likes of Luton and Coventry which some higher placed teams haven't done so I don't think it's quite bottom three bad albeit there are significant issues.
 
Riis has looked to be trying over the last few matches - well at least before yesterday - and he is worth keeping. Otherwise your suggestions for players to be 'cut loose' are sound though I would add Holmes and frankly see no reason why we should not make a real effort to offload Whiteman. As for your suggested team for the next match well I might omit Hughes in order to add Greenwood but otherwise something like that is necessary.

Worth keeping but on a reduced wage for me, which I don't think he will take.

His electric pace is some what still there but his lack of finishing, decision making and just general basic hold up play is really poor over the last few weeks he has given the ball way time and time again bringing pressure onto us.

I understand he's ploughing a lone furlong but christ a simple first touch and laying off sometimes isn't too much to ask.

I think Osmijic will really show him up when he is back.
 
How bad was the defence in that era, Morgan, Gray, Wayne Brown etc. Davidson was declining like Hughes is now after being a good servant. Youl and SSL were still around but Mawene also getting on although he should've been retained for league one imo considering Clarke Carlisle was signed to replace him. Having Fergie Jr attempting to make that a coherent backline basically meant relegation as there were still decent players in attack like Parkin, Hume and Tracey.

Also I think this is when people actually realised what a huge loss on and off the field Paul McKenna was. Could be echos of Browne moving on and not being replaced properly.

There are many similarities with 10/11 for sure but I think the difference is PH is far more capable of pulling out a win when he really needs one and we've seen that a couple of times beating likes of Luton and Coventry which some higher placed teams haven't done so I don't think it's quite bottom three bad albeit there are significant issues.

Those Luton and Coventry scalps don't look that impressive this season, tbh. One manager already sacked, the other on the brink.

I think the parallels with 2010/11 are pretty striking - in 10 years' time, I'm sure fans will be looking back to our defence today and saying "how bad was the defence in that era".
 
I think the parallels with 2010/11 are pretty striking - in 10 years' time, I'm sure fans will be looking back to our defence today and saying "how bad was the defence in that era".

I actually think the whole squad was worse than that one

That one had Paul Coutts, Billy Jones, Keith Treacy, Sean St Ledger, Andy Lonergan, Iain Hume all of which would be an upgrade on what we have now
 
How bad was the defence in that era, Morgan, Gray, Wayne Brown etc. Davidson was declining like Hughes is now after being a good servant. Youl and SSL were still around but Mawene also getting on although he should've been retained for league one imo considering Clarke Carlisle was signed to replace him. Having Fergie Jr attempting to make that a coherent backline basically meant relegation as there were still decent players in attack like Parkin, Hume and Tracey.

Also I think this is when people actually realised what a huge loss on and off the field Paul McKenna was. Could be echos of Browne moving on and not being replaced properly.

There are many similarities with 10/11 for sure but I think the difference is PH is far more capable of pulling out a win when he really needs one and we've seen that a couple of times beating likes of Luton and Coventry which some higher placed teams haven't done so I don't think it's quite bottom three bad albeit there are significant issues.

Youl mawene wasn’t around in the season we got relegated. He left the season before so his replacement was really Craig Morgan/Wayne brown. Both players pretty diabolical.

we signed Ritchie de laet on loan who was a top player. Very similar to KKH. When we sacked fergie junior him leaving basically consigned us to relegation. I wasn’t too bothered about James and king - king looked like he didn’t want to be here and James was a sack note. But de laet was a really good player.

I feel if we lose KKH in jan (which could very well happen) then that will also consign us to relegation.
 
Those Luton and Coventry scalps don't look that impressive this season, tbh. One manager already sacked, the other on the brink.

I think the parallels with 2010/11 are pretty striking - in 10 years' time, I'm sure fans will be looking back to our defence today and saying "how bad was the defence in that era".
At least back in 10/11 we only had to see that shite play for one/two seasons (at most.)

We’ve been watching most of these plodders play for four/five/even six years in some cases.
 
Those Luton and Coventry scalps don't look that impressive this season, tbh. One manager already sacked, the other on the brink.

I think the parallels with 2010/11 are pretty striking - in 10 years' time, I'm sure fans will be looking back to our defence today and saying "how bad was the defence in that era".

Sunderland couldn't beat Coventry from 2-0 up yesterday. O.k 3-0 v Watford who are in the top 6 meet the standards?
 
Youl mawene wasn’t around in the season we got relegated. He left the season before so his replacement was really Craig Morgan/Wayne brown. Both players pretty diabolical.

we signed Ritchie de laet on loan who was a top player. Very similar to KKH. When we sacked fergie junior him leaving basically consigned us to relegation. I wasn’t too bothered about James and king - king looked like he didn’t want to be here and James was a sack note. But de laet was a really good player.

I feel if we lose KKH in jan (which could very well happen) then that will also consign us to relegation.

Oh right, massive error to release Youl who wasn't as good as pre ACL but was still decent and experienced. Lost too many leaders and experienced heads in that time and replaced them with s***e.

I can remember Josh King running right through a lower league team in the cup to score and everyone becoming massively excited but he was just too young and raw for the championship. Bournemouth took him I think two years later and he developed brilliantly for them.
 
Kent will not be joing pne. He was on something like 40k a week in Turkey wasn't he?
Fwiw, let's just say he does sign, anyone who thinks he wouldn't improve us is fucking deluded. He's a top 6 champ,maybe lower Prem type player. Something we won't bea time soon with out back 5, mainly our awful gk(imo).
 
Sposedly a bellend, however Heckys worked with him before so may know what makes him tick.

He’d be our best player.
 
We have to.

Yesterday shows we are only one injury away from Whatmough playing.

We also need to ensure that KKH plays on the right.

As well as Brady was playing, we simply can not depend on his fitness.

I would also be looking for a striker and a loan keeper.

In the past Trevor always found funds if we looked in trouble (albeit, the year we went down being the exception).

Don't expect us to get even 25% of them though and annonce new contracts instead.

Good post. Said the same to a mate yesterday. If we ever looked fucked, Trev found a few quid down side of the sofa. Numerous examples over the years.

Pity he never routed down side of the same sofa when actually looking to trouble the top 6 so to speak.
 
Worth keeping but on a reduced wage for me, which I don't think he will take.

His electric pace is some what still there but his lack of finishing, decision making and just general basic hold up play is really poor over the last few weeks he has given the ball way time and time again bringing pressure onto us.

I understand he's ploughing a lone furlong but christ a simple first touch and laying off sometimes isn't too much to ask.

I think Osmijic will really show him up when he is back.

In terms of finishing perhaps, but sadly, Osmajic's first touch/hold up play is no better than Riis's.
 
It would be a monumental pay cut for Kent if he came here so cannot see it happening for a minute.

Rangers fan I know also said he’s the last person you would want in a relegation battle. Well, he didn’t use the word “person” but this is a family show.
If we dont invest in the defence we are in a relegation battle for the rest of the season so blowing whatever budget is left on him wouldnt be smart at all.

At the same time however we are still struggling with quickly getting the ball into attacking areas.

Kent is skillful and quick, exactly what that left hand side is missing right now.
 
Kent will not be joing pne. He was on something like 40k a week in Turkey wasn't he?
Fwiw, let's just say he does sign, anyone who thinks he wouldn't improve us is fucking deluded. He's a top 6 champ,maybe lower Prem type player. Something we won't bea time soon with out back 5, mainly our awful gk(imo).

If he has received a large payoff to settle his contract early, he may well accept a much lower salary from January to the summer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top